Growing Redbud Trees

I had a love of Redbud trees for as long as I can remember. So when my 4 year old Redbud had babies I was ecstatic. These are two that I transplanted this spring that came up under the original tree (they were about 6" tall with a few leaves). I gave a couple away and of course I am sad to say that the person did not water them. I decided I am no longer going to give away plants to non gardening people.
The 3rd pic is 3 years old and randomly came up in my shade garden on the side of my home. It is now 8' or more with a span of at least 6'. I have several Redbuds and now that I figured out which one produces babies I am clearing out underneath her to prepare for more next spring.
From this spring~had to put a stake next to it to prop it up after the dogs went running through here and trampled it earlier this summer.
From this spring~
From this spring~
3 years old.
3 years old.

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Linda Geier

I've heard redbuds are hard to start and once transplanted, they do not like to be moved. Is this true? How do you start them? We live in southcentral Mo., and Redbuds grow wild as well as the Dogwoods. It's beautiful to see them blooming in the hills and hollers. Awaiting your reply. Linda, Urbana, Mo.

• @Linda Geier I, too, am an IL native where black dirt on our 40 acres was great for my acres of flowers. I have red clay here in VA and I brought many varieties of hosta, daylily, and other plants which have adapted to life here in the zone 7. I find it challenging to grow things and I amend my soil with composted horse manure (when I find it free on Craiglist because now the guys sell it because urbanites and suburbanites will pay for it now). I refuse to pay for something that used to be free and there is a steady supply of it. Horse manure is my "secret". By the way, Dogwoods are the same process and grow slower and takes longer to find a tree that produces. I have a Dogwood that is probably 20 yrs old that now finally had a baby this past spring so I transplanted it this summer/fall and hope to find others to fill in under my 60' Oaks. If you find a bigger tree, just follow my process and make sure to do it with the rain and keep it watered. It will most likely lose its leaves but do not assume it is dead because I have transplanted and revived trees and certain plants from this "dead" state. Always scratch the bark/branch to see if you find green and then you know. {ps hostas and others I have found here in VA will thrive and grow much bigger than in IL. I have blue hosta that get 2' tall here that in IL were about a 1'}

• Stephanie Berg

I had one come up last year. This is it's second year and it's about the size of your very first picture. I didn't realize until this year what it was. It came up under my Photinia along my fence line. I need to move it. I don't want it to get choked out and it just won't make it where it's at. I need to move it. I've never moved one before. Can you offer me any advice?