Redoux Interiors
Redoux Interiors
  • Brentwood, CA

Create a Photo Gallery Wall on a Small Budget

$25

Have you always wanted to have a show stopper Photo Gallery Wall, but the cost of the frames, the math of figuring out where they all go, or just the work involved with all of it held you back?
For years, at least 12 of them, I have wanted to have a photo gallery wall on my stairs. I finally figured out an easy and very cheap way to have the Photo Gallery wall of my dreams
create a photo gallery wall on a small budget, flooring, garages, stairs
I started with the box of Free Frames I found. They were garage sale leftovers. Most of them were cheap metal or plastic. I also had a collection of frames from several years of curbside picks ups and Thrift Store finds. You could start a collection of Thrift Store frames for a fraction of what they would cost brand new.
I traced each frame onto a piece of old newspaper. I kept track of how many of each size I had and took the frames apart. Then I arranged and rearranged the newspaper templates on my wall until I had the sizing I and spacing I wanted.
I chose four colors from the Debi's DIY Paint collection. DIY Paint is a 100% natural, Clay Based paint. It paints on easily, the consistency is always the same and the colors are fabulous. But best of all, it adheres to just about any surface. Especially cheap plastic or Metal. I propped up the frames on Dixie Cups while I painted them and for drying.
After all my frames were completed, I chose which pictures I wanted to use. For the larger frames, I purchased photo matting from Hobby Lobby. I laid all the pictures on my Living Room floor to just see them all before I put them on the wall.
I used a combination of small picture nails, small command strips and poster putty to keep the pictures in place. The poster putty was very useful for the very small frames and to keep the frames from moving as people go up and down the stairs. I am pleased to say the photo gallery has been up for over a month and not one picture has fallen down, or has needed to be straightened.
For more details you can visit my blog post about it and watch my YouTube video for instructions on how I did this project.
Redoux Interiors

• Margie

I don’t understand why put the newspaper on the wall?

• DIANE K

So you can arrange the pictures how you want them before you put nails in the wall. You can Change the layout as many times as you want until you're satisfied & not damage the wall.

• The Snarky Princess

Where do you get the paint you talked about? Debi’s DIY Paints? The link to the paint you shared is the junk I always see in the stores. I am allergic to acrylic and would love to find some kind of paint I can safely use.

• Carol Bellinger

You can go to Debi’s Design Diary. Com and click on the link to find her paint distributor nearest you. She doesn’t sell her paints in big stores like Walmart or Lowe’s or Home Depot. Her paint is amazing. There is also a YouTube channel that she has that shows how to use the paint and ex....

• Madline

Thank you just what I was looking for

do you have any ideas for photos on a board type display as well I have lots of pictures small size I want to display but not really sure how to go about it thank you will certainly

be copying your stair gallery

• Valarie Broulidakis

Love the poster putty idea and have used it up north, but I spend winters in the South and found that it melts and drips when using it where it gets very hot. It made quite a mess. Any ideas on what to use in the south?

• Sherri Roll

This looks very nicely put together! Although I'm not a fan of hanging photos, this looks neat and tidy and I very much like it! Thanks for sharing

• Melba

My wall so far. Although I did my template out of wrapping paper, and a fewontha ago so ling before I read this article. Lol

• Crystal

That's cool and all. Pictures are to be about eye level. Evenly spaced not crooked. Keep working on it. It takes lots of practice to get it perfect you got have eye for something like that. Think of it as putting it all together like a puzzle start big in middle then work your way out around middle pic but evenly arrange thou. Good luck.