Small Barn Door for Adding Extra Storage Space to Small Bathroom

I had an idea to add a little bit of extra storage space in our little bathroom. I've seen many lovely barn doors made here and wanted to try it despite my limited talents with tools.
small barn door for adding extra storage space to small bathroom, bathroom ideas, doors, outdoor living, storage ideas
I asked if I could have a pallet at a mechanics garage and after looking through so many, found one and got it in the car the mechanic came outside and gave me a brand new small one. I thanked him heartily and took it as well. I used my mouse sander and spent many hours outside wearing a mask sanding.
But obviously, the sanding was after figuring out that pallets aren't as easy to take apart as I thought. Thankfully, my husband came outside and helped me. I really think he just wasn't in the mood to drive me to the walk in clinic for stitches or anything.
I admit, my husband greatly discouraged me from making any holes in our wall and he was correct. We've been married for 32 years so I think it's safe to say he knows me well. My brother in law came over and did this work for me because he is a stellar guy and can build anything. He was wildly amused by my idea but not quite convinced and I am so glad the he decided to help me.
I used pickling stain on the boards and wanted a barely there look on the wood. I was wildly lucky that the boards were all the exact size that I needed. It's a Christmas miracle!
Pickling stain. Reading the instructions with two pairs of reading glasses.
These round circles are from laundry line pulls. The plastic parts were removed. I bought them at the Home Depot and clearly, the person working there took pity on me and removed the extra parts right there for me! Seriously, I love that store maybe because they enable my inner wanna be builder. The pieces above are paint stirrers that I painted white as well. They will hold the wheels to the barn door.
I put it together and took it apart so many times, just seeing how things would go before drilling and such. I know this much, measure twice, cut once and also that this quote applies to much more in life because practice is always good.
I practiced lots before working on the barn door and I did all the drill work from the back as I liked the wood the way it was and didn't want to make a mess. I am very good at making a mess.
After using painters tape to tape it up tighter than King Tut's mummy, I was able to turn it over without it moving too much. In the end, you can see it moved a bit but such is life with beginner projects.
I used wood glue underneath the front wood pieces, and then screws from the back. I pre-drilled the holes too, I'm learning.
I am finally done with the barn door itself.
Now, this is it finished. This was the hardest part and since I clearly needed help, the world's best brother in law came to my rescue. He took that white piece and made it cornered, he added depth to it so the wheels would slide back and forth and attached it to wall. Bless his soul, he has the patience of a saint to help me. He also put the door handles on for me and attached the paint stirrers.
After my sainted brother in law left, I noticed that the wheels were gauging lines in my wall so I took the barn door off and added something called drawer glides to the back of the wheels. It's a product that works like tape to help drawers slide easily. It worked perfectly. I also had to sand the back of the paint stirrers as they were creating a drag on the trim. Full disclosure, my husband hates the wheels and wants me to replace them. I have some brush up painting to do but I am proud of the results and forever grateful for the help of my brother in law.

• Diane Colley

Can this be done for a full size door?

• Val

yes, I believe it can but I think that the parts to connect the wheels to the barn door itself would need to be much sturdier than the paint stirrers that I used. I got this idea from a full sized barn door.

• Diana Janke

How do the pulley circles attache to the door?

• Aalbal1977

How did you remove the planks from the pallet
    • Est21023819

The easiest way is to buy a reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight ($20-30). The most power is the type with a cord, not battery. (Less expensive also) Also buy an 8” or longer metal cutting blade (less than $10). The saw is easy to use. Start at the end of the pallet. Place the blade under the plank as close to the nail as possible and pull the trigger. Cut behind all planks on that end. The blade should easily cut through the nails. Do the other end, then stand pallet up and cut the center nails from the front and remove each plank. Should take 2-3 min per side and less than a min for each center. It’s easy and fun. When using power tools eye protection is recommended.

• Robin Allen

I’m a DIY virgin. Heck, I don’t even do the painting around the house (hubby is the crafty one), but I love seeing all these amazing projects. It gives me ideas for my own home. Someday I’ll be brave enough to do a few projects of my own. This is truly one of my favorites and while I don’t have the skill to do this, my husband does. I want to put additional shelving under our breakfast bar. I can’t wait to see how my barn doors turn out.

• Val

Wow, thank you so much! That really made me so happy to read that. You made my day! Thanks again.

• Sea Trace Creations

That is pure genius done with style! Love it!

• Val

Thank you so much for the kind words! It's still working well too!