Flavia Andrews
Flavia Andrews
  • Boynton Beach, FL

DIY Covers for Wire Shelving

$200

I made these custom wood shelves to cover the ugly wire shelving inside a closet. The result is a custom built-in closet, that I want to keep open all the time!
Measure the length and the depth of the shelves, and according to those measurements, purchase the following material.
- Plywood sheathing – 1/4 inch x 4 ft x 8 ft . The amount of sheets needed will depend on the number of shelves you will be making and their depth.
- Select Pine board – 1 inch x 4 inch x 6 ft. (Actual size: 3/4 inch x 3 1/2 inch) – These are for the facing of the shelves. Again, the amount needed will depend on the number of shelves and their width.
- Wood glue
- Staple gun and staples – We used crown staples 1 inch long x 1/4 inch wide
- Table saw
- Miter saw
- Wood putty and palm sander – Optional: to cover staples and sand off the surface.
- One-step varnish and urethane – Color of choice.
- Brush & gloves – to apply varnish
BEFORE
BEFORE
This is how this 'dump' closet looked like before! Everything in total disarray.
AFTER
AFTER
Step 1: On a table saw, rip a piece of plywood sheathing lengthwise to fit the depth of your closet's shelf. On this step, you are ripping the plywood to make the top of the shelf.
diy covers for wire shelving, bathroom ideas, closet, organizing, shelving ideas, woodworking projects
Step 2: Adjust the table saw blade, cut a notch 1/2 inch deep on the 3/4 inch side of the pine board.
Step 3: Adjust the blade, cut a notch 1/4 inch deep on the 3 1/2 inch side of the pine board.
Step 4: on a miter saw, cut the length of the plywood sheathing to match the shelf's width. Each plywood sheet will be the top of the shelf.
Step 5: on the miter saw, cut the pine board (same length as plywood on step 4). This piece will be the shelf's front.
Step 6: Apply glue on all the length of the notch you cut on the pine board (facing).
Step 7: Place the sheet of plywood (shelf) on the notch smeared with glue.
Step: 8: Reinforce by stapling the boards about every 8 inches
Step 9: Sand and stain the shelves and slide over the old and ugly wire shelving.
Step 10: Place storage baskets to help you organize your closet neatly.
This project was completed in under 24 hours. For more details, check out my article DIY Wood Covers for Wire Shelving
Happy DIYing!
Flavia Andrews

• Priscila santiago

Can I ask the guy in the hardware ti do the cuts for me? Because I don't has the machine ti do the cuts

• Chris Carter Groberg

what hardware would do these cuts? I know Home Depot will cut wood to length and width but I dont know about the routing

• K_a7863698

Sorry for asking, I may have overlooked this in your instructions but what is securing the wood to the wire shelves?

• Flavia Andrews

Hi! Nothing. They sit on top of the wire shelves. The wood slides over the wire shelf as a sleeve. :) Two years and still in perfect condition!!!

• Lol

where did you get the baskets that say stuff?

• AJ Jeannette

What a beautiful transformation and very inexpensive. Great idea and thank you for sharing. I did basically the same thing when I boxed in metal support poles in my basement.

• Lovesunique

This is a great idea! Stained or painted boards it looks great. The metal shelves were a great idea when they came out because they were adjustable and this way you get solid adjustable shelving without having to demo and fill in anchor holes.