DIY Covers for Wire Shelving

$200

I made these custom wood shelves to cover the ugly wire shelving inside a closet. The result is a custom built-in closet, that I want to keep open all the time!
Measure the length and the depth of the shelves, and according to those measurements, purchase the following material.
- Plywood sheathing – 1/4 inch x 4 ft x 8 ft . The amount of sheets needed will depend on the number of shelves you will be making and their depth.
- Select Pine board – 1 inch x 4 inch x 6 ft. (Actual size: 3/4 inch x 3 1/2 inch) – These are for the facing of the shelves. Again, the amount needed will depend on the number of shelves and their width.
- Wood glue
- Staple gun and staples – We used crown staples 1 inch long x 1/4 inch wide
- Table saw
- Miter saw
- Wood putty and palm sander – Optional: to cover staples and sand off the surface.
- One-step varnish and urethane – Color of choice.
- Brush & gloves – to apply varnish
BEFORE
This is how this 'dump' closet looked like before! Everything in total disarray.
AFTER
Step 1: On a table saw, rip a piece of plywood sheathing lengthwise to fit the depth of your closet's shelf. On this step, you are ripping the plywood to make the top of the shelf.
Step 2: Adjust the table saw blade, cut a notch 1/2 inch deep on the 3/4 inch side of the pine board.
Step 3: Adjust the blade, cut a notch 1/4 inch deep on the 3 1/2 inch side of the pine board.
Step 4: on a miter saw, cut the length of the plywood sheathing to match the shelf's width. Each plywood sheet will be the top of the shelf.
Step 5: on the miter saw, cut the pine board (same length as plywood on step 4). This piece will be the shelf's front.
Step 6: Apply glue on all the length of the notch you cut on the pine board (facing).
Step 7: Place the sheet of plywood (shelf) on the notch smeared with glue.
Step: 8: Reinforce by stapling the boards about every 8 inches
Step 9: Sand and stain the shelves and slide over the old and ugly wire shelving.
Step 10: Place storage baskets to help you organize your closet neatly.
This project was completed in under 24 hours. For more details, check out my article DIY Wood Covers for Wire Shelving
Happy DIYing!

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Flavia Andrews

• Judy
    Judy

I was inspired by your project! Here are my pictures. My hubby did the woodwork; I did the emptying and will do the refilling! We had to notch the sides to fit over the rack holders.

• Flavia Andrews
      Flavia Andrews

Wow, 🤩 Judy, this makes me so happy! I am so glad I inspired you and you were able to follow the tutorial and complete the project. It looks great. You’re going to enjoy it for years to come. My shelves are still as good as new and strong!

• Darlene Merritt
    Darlene Merritt

This is a great project . Wire shelves are a pain . I don’t have them in my house , but I do have them in my garage . I put a board on top so items don’t fall through . Not as pretty as your, but the same idea.

👍👍👍👍