Kristin
Kristin
  • San Marcos, CA

DIY Tin Can Lanterns

DIY tin can lanterns are easy to create and leave a gorgeous light patterns for outside areas. Perfect for a summer backyard bbq, Halloween night to light the pathway or Christmas time to add to your twinkle lights.
diy tin can lanterns, crafts, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
I grabbed the drill and found a bit with the sharpest edge, I carefully drilled over each dot, creating a hole.  Make sure you wear your safety goggles.
I grabbed the drill and found a bit with the sharpest edge, I carefully drilled over each dot, creating a hole. Make sure you wear your safety goggles.
After making spagetti sauce I always have a ton of tin cans left over so I simply rinsed them out and took the labels off.  I drew my pattern on the cans using a sharpie.
After making spagetti sauce I always have a ton of tin cans left over so I simply rinsed them out and took the labels off. I drew my pattern on the cans using a sharpie.
You can leave the can as is or paint them.  I gave each a coat of paint using a foam brush.
You can leave the can as is or paint them. I gave each a coat of paint using a foam brush.
Kristin

• Lisa Angel

If you fill the cans with water and put them in the freezer, it will be easier to drill the holes when the inside is solid ice and that way your cans won't bend in and your pattern will be more consistent. Just a tip I found years ago when I made some of these.

• Lin

good idea. I was wondering that for a while. Thanks for the advise.

• Thea

I froze water in the cans and used a hammer and different sized nails to punch in a pattern. Works like a hotdamn!