DIY Spell Book

Every year for Halloween I set a small table out on our front porch with candy for Trick-or-Treaters since we are out trick-or-treating ourselves. My kids were so disappointed last year with the lack of Halloween decorations in the neighborhood, so I decided to step up the decorating a little this year!
This whole table set up will go outside on our front porch the night of Halloween and in the last few
diy spell book, crafts, halloween decorations
I started with a black hardback book from the Dollar Tree and removed the paper cover. Open the book to a half way point and paint both sides with white paint. I used chalky finish paint in white. It helps cover the writing in the book but it also gave the pages a nice curl on the edges when the pages dried.
I found two spell images online that I liked and printed them out.
Cut them to size and take a tea bag that has soaked in hot water and rub it all over your paper. I left a few darker "puddles" in spots on the paper to give more of an old feel.
While the paper was still wet I ripped the edges of the paper off & then let them dry. I didn't wait for them to completely dry but at least 10 min. While they were drying I burned the edges of the two pages with a lighter. Once the papers had dried some I used a mix of glue & water to attach the paper spells to the book pages! Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of these three steps.
You can see more here: http://camelotartcreations.blogspot.com/2016/10/diy-dollar-store-spell-book.html
I love the way this $1 book turned into the perfect Spell Book for Halloween!!

Desiree G

• Emmawilliams1

Made my comment regarding that wonderful idea, and meant to ask if you had to vacate your home etc...in Orlando....Some of my relatives and friends in Florida had to vacate..Hope you did not...Stay safe

• Desiree G

Luckily we did not need to! Most of any damage was along the beach coast but it wasn't bad in our area. I know the northern beach coast of Florida got hit pretty hard:(