VANITY ON A BUDGET... A TINY BUDGET

Welcome to my world. I live in the worlds smallest house and it's a rental. Plus I have no money to speak of. My bathroom is ridiculously small. I hate being in there for any amount of time. I needed a vanity.
vanity on a budget a tiny budget, bathroom ideas, bedroom ideas
It actually started with an old mirror I found at the thrift store for $3.99. Yes!!! That is in my budget! Plus I love these old mirrors.
Next up was a trip to the Habitat ReStore. There I found an old solid wood kitchen cupboard door. It wasn't too wide. I even left the handle on it.
Now that I had my two main pieces I went to Walmart for a set of brackets that I knew they carried. I wanted this particular set because they had curled hooks on them. That is where I would be hanging my blow dryer and hand mirror from.
I also found a weird shaped hook that is normally used for hanging long curtain rods or venetian blinds from so it does not sag in the middle. But I would be screwing it into the side of the vanity and out from the wall. This is what I will be hanging my curling iron from.
At this point you might be wondering where in the world did I come up with room for a vanity. Well it is at the very end of my bed. I can sit on the end of the bed in comfort and do my hair, from blow drying to curling and styling. I have exactly 23 inches from the end of the bed to the wall. I even had room in there to put my old laundry basket. It was a curbside find that I reupholstered the old vinyl top to a pretty tapestry material. I can not believe there was even a wall plug outlet in the spot where I needed it to be. That NEVER happens!
Because it had to be a narrow shelf I added a larger silver tray to hold my hairbrushes and things I might need. Everything about this turned out to be very practical and the total cost was just under $30.00. The brackets were the most expensive at $20.00. Sometimes you do have to buy new but that is to be expected.
I use this area every single day and it has become one of my favorite areas because now I know I can sit and relax while doing one of those daily things that I hated, while standing in that tiny bathroom.

• Mirror  (Thrift Store)
  • Cupboard door  (Habitat ReStore)
  • Brackets  (Walmart)
KAT

• Karen Hurst

Love it. Can you also sit on the laundry basket?

• Karen Hurst

Thank you for the quick reply. As I was looking close at the picture I was thinking if it was one of the old metal ones it could be used as a seat. I feel your pain...as I also live in a small house. Always looking for a nook corner extra inch to put things in. Sometimes its a nightmare. Sometimes its a blessing LOL.

• Nancy

That is an awaome idea love it thanx for shsring ..... hey i am living now in tight quarters i very well understand ur situation and i think it is just adorable idea😍

• KAT

Thanks Nancy! It is kinda funny when you are restricted to a smaller space the things you do to accommodate your needs. The area is just big enough and I find it quite relaxing sitting on the end of the bed to do my hair. Even my dog jumps up and sits beside me while blow drying. I really like it and thanks!

• Carol Ann

So creative! Love the old mirror too!