VANITY ON A BUDGET... A TINY BUDGET

Welcome to my world. I live in the worlds smallest house and it's a rental. Plus I have no money to speak of. My bathroom is ridiculously small. I hate being in there for any amount of time. I needed a vanity.
It actually started with an old mirror I found at the thrift store for $3.99. Yes!!! That is in my budget! Plus I love these old mirrors.
Next up was a trip to the Habitat ReStore. There I found an old solid wood kitchen cupboard door. It wasn't too wide. I even left the handle on it.
Now that I had my two main pieces I went to Walmart for a set of brackets that I knew they carried. I wanted this particular set because they had curled hooks on them. That is where I would be hanging my blow dryer and hand mirror from.
I also found a weird shaped hook that is normally used for hanging long curtain rods or venetian blinds from so it does not sag in the middle. But I would be screwing it into the side of the vanity and out from the wall. This is what I will be hanging my curling iron from.
At this point you might be wondering where in the world did I come up with room for a vanity. Well it is at the very end of my bed. I can sit on the end of the bed in comfort and do my hair, from blow drying to curling and styling. I have exactly 23 inches from the end of the bed to the wall. I even had room in there to put my old laundry basket. It was a curbside find that I reupholstered the old vinyl top to a pretty tapestry material. I can not believe there was even a wall plug outlet in the spot where I needed it to be. That NEVER happens!
Because it had to be a narrow shelf I added a larger silver tray to hold my hairbrushes and things I might need. Everything about this turned out to be very practical and the total cost was just under $30.00. The brackets were the most expensive at $20.00. Sometimes you do have to buy new but that is to be expected.
I use this area every single day and it has become one of my favorite areas because now I know I can sit and relax while doing one of those daily things that I hated, while standing in that tiny bathroom.

• Mirror  (Thrift Store)
  • Cupboard door  (Habitat ReStore)
  • Brackets  (Walmart)

KAT

• Karen Hurst

Love it. Can you also sit on the laundry basket?

• Karen Hurst

Thank you for the quick reply. As I was looking close at the picture I was thinking if it was one of the old metal ones it could be used as a seat. I feel your pain...as I also live in a small house. Always looking for a nook corner extra inch to put things in. Sometimes its a nightmare. Sometimes its a blessing LOL.

• Carol Ann

So creative! Love the old mirror too!
  • Joanie

I love the old mirror and sometimes ya do with what ya have. If it means doin' without.....ya do without......All good things will come. Patience. It will be amazing when the money starts comin' and things start happening for you. Good Luck and hang in there.....