Girl UPcycled Studio
Girl UPcycled Studio
  • Zanesville, OH

Furniture Upcycle Fireplace is UPcycled Into an Aged Wine Rack

Learn how this new electric fireplace was UPcycled into a beautifully aged wine rack using paper clay moulds and clay based (chalk style) paint! What a transformation!!!
fireplace is beautifully upcycled into an aged wine rack, fireplaces mantels
This was a brand-new fire place that I picked up at an auction that was missing the heating elements from the inside. Since this was a brand-new piece there was no need to use primer since I am planning on using Debbie's design diary DIY paint, just simply clean it well with a mild cleaner
I knew I had these old wooden wine rack's in my storage that would be perfect to transform this fireplace from an unwanted electric heater into a more practical and beautiful use as a wine rack... I mean who doesn't love wine right ??
Oh how I love this clay based DIY Paint!
I applied one thorough coat of the color farm fresh from Debbie's design diary DIY paint . This paint is the perfect partner to use along with the paper clay accents that I will be applying because the paint itself is clay-based I used the color "Weathered wood" for the inside of fireplace and wine rack from DDD DIY Paint. Seal with clear Patina
Make sure all edges are crisp n clean
Make sure all edges are crisp n clean
While waiting on the first coat of paint to dry I used the silicone molds from the Iron Orchid Design company to create decorative accents using paper clay. Just simply roll up a ball of paper clay getting it warmed up then press it down into the mold using a wooden craft stick I then leveled out the clay ensuring the backing is flat and free of any flyaways around the edges.
Before applying your final coat of paint just attach the paper clay decorative accents by brushing on a wooden glue like gorilla glue. And yes you can totally apply the decorative accents while they are still wet! Who doesn't love instant gratification!
Add thick layers around the corners and sides
Liberally apply your last layer of DIY paint paying specific attention to all the corners and sides of the decorative clay accents. You want the accents to appear as if they have been there for years and have aged gracefully. To create the decorative paint finish you will need to mix three parts clear patina to one part weathered wood and mix well add small amounts of water if needed. If you are a beginner I recommend applying a layer of clear patina to the surface first then while it is wet you can apply the mixture. you will simply brush on and quickly start wiping off working in small areas at a time until you achieve the texture and color you want
The end result is a rich weathered beautifully aged look that will coordinate perfectly with the farmhouse style !
Watch the entire live broadcast of this custom finish here!
Simply add wine and done! Cheers! See You soon back at the studio!

• Debi's design diary DIY paint  (http://debisdesigndiary.com/ref/38/)
  • Iron Orchid Design Moulds  (https://www.amazon.com/Prima-Marketing-814809-Baroque-Designs/dp/B01AMLHYXW/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=)
Girl UPcycled Studio

• Hazel Gully

What is paper clay? Do you make it or buy it?

• Girl UPcycled Studio

Mary I just buy mine-it's really inexpensive and I use it so often so it's just quick and easier for me-but yes it can be handmade for sure -have fun with it!

• Lady Anne

I've seen something similar, but a bookcase was put into the fireplace instead of a wine rack. Clever ideas.

• Tanya Harritott

So clever looks amazing 🙂