My Rainstorm Dining Room

$100.00

My dining room had been gray and cream for about four years and it was time for a change. I'm hosting a large Thanksgiving dinner this year and wanted to get it done in time for the holidays. I decided to go big and out of my comfort zone and paint it in a deep blue - Sherwin Williams Rainstorm.
my rainstorm dining room, dining room ideas, foyer, home decor, outdoor living, painted furniture, painting, reupholster, window treatments
Here is my room before. I was happy with it but decided to go for a more sophisticated look.
One more pic of the "before" in the pale gray and cream.
Here is the room now! I had Home Depot color match the Sherwin Williams paint color and used their Behr Paint and Primer in One. It took two coats to cover fully and quite honestly, painting a dark color is definitely more time consuming than a light one!
I painted underneath the chair rail in the color Benjamin Moore Cloud White. Again, I had Home Depot color match it and used Behr paint. I also touched up the trim. I really like how the white contrasts with the darker color.
I'm very happy with the result - it feels warmer and gives the room an entirely different feel. Amazing what paint can do!
I'm also very pleased with how my dining room set looks against the deep blue.
I feel the wood looks warmer and stands out better in the room now.
I'm not loving the burgundy buffet against the blue. I plan on changing that for a different piece soon. The before and after on that piece is HERE: Burgundy Buffet Before and After
I'm also on the lookout for a rug but am not going to put the curtains back up. I like the bright windows against the blue and feel it looks more modern.
The color flows well into my living room and you can also see it from my foyer. My foyer was recently painted in Sherwin Williams Poised Taupe - shown HERE: Poised Taupe Foyer with Vintage Armoire
I'm almost ready for Thanksgiving!

• Paint  (Sherwin Williams - SW Rainstorm)
  • Paint  (Home Depot - BM Cloud White)
The Painted Drawer by Suzanne Bagheri

• Christy Roppel

I am ALL for painting furniture, but I'm really glad you didn't paint your table and hutch. They're beautiful and I have a feeling you would regret it some day. I have an old Cherry hutch from the late 60's that was my Moms. I'm sure it would look beautiful in an updated color, but I don't have the heart to change it! I like haveing some "real" wood mixed with painted wood.

• Lady Anne

Have to agree with you. We purchased a antique china somebody had painted black; they'd also replaced the glass with cloth, so the piece looked pseudo-Chinese. We paid to have it stripped down to the original oak, and used pierced copper to make it a HUGE pie safe. (I'm not tidy enough to have a glass-front china closet!)

• Jan

I love the way your furniture really pops with new color scheme!