Dick Clark IV
Dick Clark IV
  • Fortuna, CA

Old barn wood used for flooring

We leave in NW California in the middle of Redwood Country. I have been collecting and remilling all the old barn wood I can get my hands on. I was and cut out any rot and remove all nails. I rip most boards down to 3/4 in thick and strips anywhere from 2" to 6-8" wide. I then plane it down to 1/2". I have removed all the laminate floors in the house and nailed this "new" flooring down. The whole floor then has a layer of floor putty mixed with LOTS of black paint and dries for a day or two. The putty fills in any new and old nail holes plus any spaces between boards. The hardest part is next when the floor gets orbital sanded. Once the Room and floor are dust free( no matter how good a vacuum is attached to the sander the place gets dusty!) at least 3 coats of clear gloss varethane are applied. Most people think the redwood is too soft a wood but the old wood, called Old Growth, has much tighter grain than the current new wood. We love the old country look.
Office area with desk and quilting counter made from old window and door molding
Look at that shine!!
Look at that shine!!
Breakfast nook leading into office- craft room
Did I mention how well it stands up to busy grand kids?!!

• Elaine

I love the floors but I want mine to be much lighter due to the fact the walls are that way..it makes it to dark in living room and hall..I don't want to have to sand them down..omg!! it would take forever!

• Elaine

I was meaning..This house that my husband's grandfather built in 1952..he said the floors had been done before but its all worn off and it was dark which I don't like I want the floors to be a lot lighter.Their kinda dark anyway i guess from the kind of wood that"s on the floor, so I'm guessing it would have to be sanded down and maybe a lighter stain put on it? maybe?