Can outdoor carpet (the green stuff) be applied to an exposed deck?

+92
We have a deck that we spent three weekends re-doing with a HGTV recommended deck restoration product that peeled in 9 months. Cleaned and scraped, replaced rotted boards, and applied when the humidity was low. Now....we are left with an eyesore! See attached pictures. We are wondering if anyone has ever put the outdoor carpet directly over a wooden deck and what were the results. Will the moisture (rain and snow) evaporate or will this expedite the deterioration of the wooden deck? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
q can outdoor carpet the green stuff be applied to an exposed deck , decks, outdoor living
  • William William on Oct 17, 2016
    OH OH! You used one of those deck resurfacing kits. They tend to crack and peel as yours had. Reviews for the products are terrible. Wood needs to breathe. Covering it with outdoor carpeting will just deteriorate the deck. Short of refinishing it, you will have to sand all the material down to raw wood. Then you can refinish it. Another choice is to cover it with deck panels. Some are composite, some are wood, some just lay next to each other, some interlock. ***** https://www.google.com/#q=deck+panels&tbm=sho... ***** http://homerepair.about.com/od/yardandgarden/... ***** https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/go-old-de... ***** http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/deck/buil...
    • Kim Kim on Apr 05, 2020

I had a large out door rug on part of my deck for several years in all seasons in Illinois. When I moved the rug, it obviously had protected the wood; it did not damage it at all. The area that was once covered still looks better than the rest of the deck.

• Dana Dana on Oct 17, 2016
    If you put down that carpet it will rot the wood. Yes it will look for a short time. But in the long run will cost you more. Best option.. sand the stuff off.. the stain and treat with a sealer. No easy fix.
  • RichandTammy Whiteside RichandTammy Whiteside on Oct 17, 2016
    A friend of mine had the same problem. We used a 1700 psi electric pressure washer (they're soooo much quieter than gas) and blasted the deck clean. Then we sanded any areas that we went a little too rough on. (If the whole surface ends up rough, rent a floor sander from Lowes or Home Depot and save yourself the manual sanding. ) Then she and her husband went to either Lowes or Home Depot and just bought a high quality deck paint (not a restorer but deck paint). It was highly forgiving of any imperfections in the wood because of the coverage type that they selected and their deck looks brand new. It has survived 2 years without as much as a scratch in the paint and that deck gets a lot of use as they're out there as soon as its remotely warm enough to be outside. I think that you'll be very pleased with the end result. One other piece of advice. Save yourself a bit on the cleanup after pressure washing by taping plastic sheeting at least 3-4 feet high to the side of your house all the way down to the deck level and taping it at the bottom also. Anything that gets kicked up vertically from the pressure washer will stick to the sheeting instead of your house. (Did I mention that I was lazy? lol) You can also lay plastic sheeting or cheap drop cloths that you can dispose of on the ground around the deck area to catch a majority of the stuff that comes off of the deck. Again -- more easy clean up. For your own clean up, I would suggest a floor length garbage bag skirt. Seriously, otherwise your shoes and anything else will also be the lovely recipient of what the pressure washer kicks up. You might look silly but it will be worth it in the end. You really will be quite pleased with the end result when you do this yourself. One more note, I would send any remaining product back or a copy of the receipt if you still have it along with the above pictures and a complaint about the product. My guess is that you will get either a full or partial refund. Here's a really neat color selector that will get you not just to the color that you want but also to the paint that you need. http://paintcolor.homedepot.com/exterior/brow... Sorry for the really long answer but hopefully you found some useful information within! Good luck to you! :)
    • See 3 previous
    • RichandTammy Whiteside RichandTammy Whiteside on Oct 28, 2016
      You know what? Looking closer at your deck, you would probably get the job done fairly quickly with a sharp floor scraper. Just be careful not to gouge your deck. Then you can hit it with a sander. If it's popping up just from the weather exposure, that might be even easier and then just pressure wash what doesn't come off and then give the whole deck a good pressure washing before continuing. You might end up liking the clean and natural deck so much that you may decide just to apply a deck sealant!
  • Mssmatch Mssmatch on Oct 17, 2016
    must definitely the carpet will make it rot!
  • Louise Fletcher Crouse Louise Fletcher Crouse on Oct 17, 2016
    The carpet will look good - for a while! Deck will rot. After trying everything, we replaced our wood with a composite decking (like Trex, but a cheaper brand sold by Lowe's). Best thing we ever did!
  • Mitzi Mitzi on Oct 17, 2016
    We bought a place where they put indoor/ out door carpet/grass on the deck and had to replace the deck because it never dried out completely. There was a lot of rot and mold under the deck. Take the time to rent a pressure washer and then resurface the deck.
  • Sandra. Jackson Sandra. Jackson on Oct 17, 2016
    You can use a spray to stick artificial grass down to keep it in place
  • V Smith V Smith on Oct 17, 2016
    Can you consider turning the boards over and cleaning up the railing?
  • Marie Caruana Marie Caruana on Oct 17, 2016
    Power wash, let dry, sand, then paint with deck stain (not paint). Just finished my deck(s)--they look wonderful. Paint put on the deck years ago rotted all the wood (keeps moisture in).
  • Wyldecent Wyldecent on Oct 17, 2016
    I had the same problem with the product. I ended up scraping it all off (not fun) and staining the wood with solid color stain instead, which has worked well.
  • Sarah Sarah on Oct 17, 2016
    We used deck over from home depot. But it is all in the prep work, power wash, sand, prime, and apply deck over. We did 3 coats.
  • Kdblaisdell Kdblaisdell on Oct 17, 2016
    I love this stuff. I used it to restore a deck that looked far worse. http://www.woodrich-brand.com/Ipe_Deck_Restor...
  • Diane Wahl Diane Wahl on Oct 17, 2016
    We used Restore deck paint from Home Depot. It is a textured rubber like paint that you can put over the deck. Ours was a pool deck so the added bonus was that it becomes non slip even when wet. We thought we would have to replace our deck because the wood was horrid looking. We replaced only about 8 boards and then painted the texture with a roller with extended handle. It went quickly and easily. It took 2 of the 5 gallon size to do our entire deck which coast about $180. but was well worth it. It should last for years. We did not have to do any prep work, just power washed and painted. Easy peasy.
    • See 1 previous
    • Sheila C Adams Sheila C Adams on Aug 25, 2019

I used Deckover and it chipped in 6 months. I did everything that was recommended. I regret using it.

I called Berh and sent in pictures of my deck. They sent me 3 gallons of Deckover to repaint. (It took eight gallons.) Did not use this product. I wish I would have know before I spent all that money getting my deck painted. Now, I have to spend twice as much to get it repaired.

• DORLIS DORLIS on Oct 17, 2016
    Ws it by any chance a Rustoleum product. Several people have had the same problem, including me. The only solution is to scrape, sand as much off as possible, make sure it is bone dry and then try another product.
  • Nancy Flemming Nancy Flemming on Oct 17, 2016
    Same problem with one of the new hybrid products suppose to be oil based water cleanup. Most is crap. Ended up scraping and sanding, got most of it off then applied and oil stain semi transparent which will actually soak into the wood 2 coats later and 3 years it is still good. Someone suggested I could have used a pressure washer to take of the other stuff, but you have to be careful you don't chew up the wood if pressure is too high.
  • CMMc CMMc on Oct 17, 2016
    Sister in law used something that was very hard to use..and peeled over the winter. She didn't use indoor-outdoor carpet.
  • 861650 861650 on Oct 17, 2016
    Please do not use that outdoor green carpet. Very hard to sweep and keep clean. Is the worst decision I ever made. Nasty stuff!
    • Goodfellas Goodfellas on May 19, 2019

They make improved outdoor pool deck carpets that look more like a low grade indoor style. I used the product Restore @ 8 years ago and it has yet to peel unlike most people who have used it. I used a 1700 PSI pressure washer to remove dirt and any lose material and my surface is still covered. I have no issues with rotting wood with the exception of the top rails that I have replaced many times. By using a good quality glue and staple the edges down your carpet should last you for years. Don’t use Thompson’s Water Seal as you will be wasting your money. I have had my deck for a couple of decades now and the only wood I replaced were the top rails. I will be having trex used to replace the rails and a light color carpet for the deck surface. There’s nothing worse than a hot floor on the deck of your pool.

• Beverly Campbell Beverly Campbell on Oct 17, 2016
    We have a 1200 sq. ft. deck that goes over our garage and we tried everything you could think of to keep it from leaking into the garage. We have a friend who is a contractor and he suggested putting pond liner down first and then the outdoor carpet. It has been down for 3 years now and not a leak in the garage. We overlapped the seams of the pond liner and used an outdoor glue that you heat up with a high temp blow dryer. Good luck.
  • Darlene Darlene on Oct 17, 2016
    We built a deck for our pool using used wood from another deck. We painted it using just regular outdoor paint and then covered the whole deck with an outdoor carpeting, not the green stuff but a nice brown. We used carpeting because I did not want anyone getting splinters from the pool deck! We have an above ground salt water pool and the deck is still standing perfectly 6 years later, however, we did change the carpeting last year because it was starting to fray and look a bit shabby. We replaced again with an outdoor carpeting but a bit more plushy and softer this time. Be aware that different textures and colors may get hot in the sun.
  • Barbara Barbara on Oct 17, 2016
    I have pool carpeting inside my screened in porch that was converted from my deck. I have absolutely no trouble with it. At the beginning of each season I steam clean it as you would indoor carpeting. I replaced it once in a 13 year period. I also used that product your speaking of and I was so disappointed. My outside deck looks exactly like yours in one year's time. We used Deck Guard. I would never recommend that product to anyone.
  • Patricia Patricia on Oct 17, 2016
    Oh sorry this happened to you! I'm not sure about the carpeting, but I would think it could compromise the wood. I was told by a contractor to not paint the wood on our deck. Instead he recommended a tinted stain instead. It lasts for years and is easy to reapply when it fades. I recommend contacting the manufacturer of the product and see if they have a warranty or suggestions for removing the product (i.e. power washing?). Best of luck to you!
  • Patrick de Schepper Patrick de Schepper on Oct 17, 2016
    Artificial grass
  • Susan Ellis Yamakawa Susan Ellis Yamakawa on Oct 17, 2016
    Our deck is rotten in places- I bought Elmers "fix it " and it seems to help but we will need to replace our deck Thank you for your advice about stain
  • Blu11356773 Blu11356773 on Oct 17, 2016
    Pressure wash and either repaint or better yet, put Thompsons water sealer on it. Outdoor carpet will rot the wood. You wouldn't want anyone falling through an unseen rotten deck. You have your work cut out but will be nice when finished.
    • See 2 previous
    • Jim Ely Jim Ely on Jun 20, 2019

I built a large deck around my 20'x 36' pool 27 years ago. One section of the the deck (about 400 sq ft) was indoor/outdoor polyester carpet (similar to astro turf but longer nap). It was installed over exterior grade (not pressure treated) 3/4" plywood. I covered the plywood with heavy grade felt paper and then covered that with a single sheet of heavy grade black plastic. I wrapped the material around the open edges (pool side) as best I could. On the outside edges, I rolled the material and tacked it just below floor level.

The take-away is this: The plywood floor has withstood 27 years of high winds, rain, snow and chlorinated water. The free-standing pool itself was completely rebuilt 4 years ago. The carpet has been replaced 4 times and I'm just getting ready to replace it for the 5th time. Each time, I redo the felt paper and plastic sheet. Generally, the higher quality polyester carpets are not expensive and can survive the sun and weather for about 7 years. (The woven carpets were a disaster.) But the floor... the floor has survived it all.

• Patty Patty on Oct 17, 2016
    It looks as though you applied a heavy body stain rather than a penetrating. A heavy body stain should never be used on a deck. If it were my deck I would pressure wash it really well, then and and scrape all of the paint or heavy body stain off. then sweep it and wash again you don't want any dust or chips on it, if you like the natural color of you deck then just apply Thompson water seal on it but if you want it darker or just a different color buy penetrating stain, then apply a good poly some people are going to the marine grade poly which is what I would use. It will be a lot of work for your large deck but well worth it.
    • Melissa Melissa on Oct 26, 2016
      It actually states for "deck restoration" on the buckets. We so regret ever purchasing this horrible product!
  • Steve Steve on Oct 17, 2016
    covered my deck with astro turf it looks awsome
  • Linda Johnson Linda Johnson on Oct 17, 2016
    We live in an area where there is a lot of rain. I had to take the carpet off of our uncovered wood deck because the carpet held moisture and rotted the wood. We had to replace a lot of the wood on that deck. If you don't like having to paint the deck, you might want to consider a TREX type of decking. It's permanent and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.
  • Barb Barb on Oct 17, 2016
    Sorry Bluedog and Patricia but I find Thompson's water seal a total waste of money. I agree all that can be done now is to power wash and sand the finish off and use a penetrating stain. I recommend Sikkens. Good luck!
  • J747725427 J747725427 on Oct 17, 2016
    i agree with others p wash. scrape/plane then stain and seal
  • Gail Hoak Gail Hoak on Oct 17, 2016
    I have had grey outdoor carpeting on my front porch for years and have never had to replace any of the wood underneath. But you do have to paint the wood underneath with and oil based porch paint. My porch gets wet all year round with rain and snow and ice. I can even power wash it with no problems. So instead of stain I would go with the oil based paint before it's carpeted.
    • Marie R Marie R on Mar 31, 2017
      That makes sense, Gail! Depends on how much time, effort and money a person wants to put into it...longevity is the goal lol
  • Deid4 Deid4 on Oct 18, 2016
    I put outdoor carpet over my splintered deck, it stayed for 6 years..best thing we ever did. After the 6 years...we just replaced it! Great solution. Good luck.
  • Kimberley Mouser Kimberley Mouser on Oct 18, 2016
    Silly I know but have you ever thought of covering the deck eg: veranda