How To Paint Your Counters

I recently used some primer and craft paint to transform my plain, old counters to resemble faux stone! I am so happy with my new look and it was so much cheaper than buying new!
Visit my blog post for more pictures and in depth tutorial on how you can do this too!
The final project!
The final project!
Here is a close up to show the detail.
Here is a close up to show the detail.
I taped off the areas I wanted to stay unpainted and applied an all purpose primer after a deglazing product.
I used several sizes of natural sponges and a slim artist's brush to apply 6-7 colors of acrylic craft paint.
I sponged in 2 ft sections so the wet layers would blend.
Adding darker colors adds some depth!
Adding darker colors adds some depth!
The artist's brush helped me create authentic looking veining. This is my favorite part!
5 coats of sealer and it's done!
5 coats of sealer and it's done!
how to paint your counters, countertops, diy, how to, painting
I treat it like any laminate counter and it's seems durable so far!
Days of Chalk and Chocolate

• Can you paint over laminate floors.

• Jenilynnecook

My counters are a yellow cover, do you recommend painting them white first as to have a neutral surface to start?

• Laurel Gudgeon

I would lightly sand them and prime them first. I have recently painted a friends countertops using a similar method. The color can be covered up, but it will make it more difficult. The primer should take care of that. I recommend using Zinzer 123. I also used the primer to mix with the other colors I used. After I was finished and the paint dried, I lightly sanded again. I finished using 3 coats of poly for durability. So far so good.

• Kathy Ferris
    30 minutes ago

Can this be done to corian surfaces and hold up well?

• Cam23995085

How talented you are. Beautiful job.

• Tina

Wow! Impressive. My bathroom vanity needs updating. I have pink tiles. My newer floor tiles look similar to what you did, with a little more green that matches my walls.