Megan
Megan
  • Tutorial Team
  • Buffalo, NY

Whimsical Raised Planters Upcycled From Curbside Drawers

I wanted two raised planters to plant next year's herb garden in, but I didn't want to pay the almost $100 price tag for a pre-made raised planter! So I set my mind thinking about what simple item I could find and re-purpose for this project.
whimsical raised planters upcycled from curbside drawers, gardening
Drawers! If I could find solid wood, well made old drawers that were deep enough, I could just add legs! Luckily for me, our village's Large Garbage Pickup was right around the corner and I set out on a mission to find drawers that would fit the bill....
I found three of these solid cedar drawers on the curb around the corner under some old boxes of garbage. They had no pulls and weren't attached to a dresser, so I didn't feel so bad just taking the drawers.
I set out filling the holes because I knew I wanted to use knobs instead of pulls. 2 coats of filler, with sanding in between and we were ready to paint!
Super Hubby drilled drainage holes for me so my plantings could drain. But I'm thinking before I plant I might make a few bigger ones to be safe.
I knew I wanted bright whimsical colors to bring some life to my back yard. So I chose a dark peach and a bright yellow for the bases. I spray paint EVERYTHING, especially if it is something that will be exposed to the elements. I am a die-hard Rustoleum fan, but when I was choosing my spray paint, I happen to be at Lowes so I grabbed their in-house brand, Valspar. The coverage was not at the level I am used to with Rustoleum, so I ended up going to a different store and picking up the kind I like. It added to the cost, but ended up being well worth it.
I wanted to jazz up the blank fronts of the drawers to give them some interest, but I didn't want to add any additional cost. So I found old stencils in my basement and used a light teal paint sample from the oops bin to stencil them on. Much thanks to Super Hubby who is good at math for centering them correctly!
I used stencils that were just different enough on the two different colors. I like variety.
Next came legs. These were the most expensive part of the project because I bought them new with all the hardware to go with. In hindsight, I could have searched around for second hand legs, but I was impatient.
I chose purple for the legs (my favorite color). I had some dark purple in the garage for one set, and bought a light purple for the second set.
I decided to highlight the different shapes in the legs with the teal paint to tie in with the stencil.
I did each set a bit differently to keep it interesting (and because the first set was a pain to tape off, so I made the second set an easier design!)
I installed the leg hardware on the bottoms and screwed it in!
And then for my favorite part: The Jewelry! I stole these knobs off drawers in my bedroom. There used to be 4, but 2 broke, so I used the two left for this project and now I get to buy more knobs!
Since these were for the garden, I thought the flowers were perfect!
And here are both planters, all finished, side by side. I can't wait to see them full of herbs next summer!

• Old Drawers  (Curbside)
  • Table Legs  (Lowes)
  • Paint  (Various Hardware Stores)

• Valerie jones

I'm trying to learn to stencil. How do you get such sharp edges on your shapes?

• Megan

It is all about using the right tool. And right doesn't always mean expensive. I hear that expensive stencils give you sharper lines, but I wouldn't know because mine are cheapies! Always make sure to secure your stencil down (I used painters tape) and use a pounce brush. They are the ones that are round with a flat head. Mine was foam. It cost 47 cents. Dip it in the paint without getting too much on there and only use a pouncing up and down motion. Also, don't overwork one area because that will cause the paint to bleed under the stencil. Hope that helps!

• Nomsa Dube from S.A

Kindly assist i need to wash my white bath in the children's bathroom to bring back the original white colour it is a cast iron bath .Thank you.

• Patricia

There is a special paint that handymen use to restore uncleanable tubs in apartments. Try Menards, Home Depot or Lowes.

• Cartwrightd

Did you line the drawer with anything, also how does the rustoleum hold up in the winter ?

• Megan

Great time for an update! First, the Rustoleum holds up great in the winter. I do all my outdoor painting with it and it holds up lovely. For the other part of your question, I painted the inside of the drawers with Flex seal (spray rubber waterproofer)...Then I experimented and lined one drawer with plastic (holes poked in the bottom for drainage) and one not. The One with plastic did less damage to the drawer. I must note that I live in a VERY tough weather climate with extremes in hot/cold wet/dry even in the summer months so items put outside have to be tough, which is why I did the experiment. For this year, I am taking the drawer fronts and rebuiliding the planter parts with different materials that may be a little tougher. I will update the post again when I do!

• Barbara White Nicholas

My old home had railings to attach window boxes, my new one does not, (and I miss them!) This is my answer!! So cute, just LOVE IT! Thank you for posting, and the flex seal idea is genius.

• Jessie

Love, will borrow this idea, thank you very much !