Cutting a wooden spool

Deo13156210LoriG fink
+10

Can anyone suggest the best way to cut a wooden spool in half length wise. Approx. 16 "tall, ends are wood and the center is thick.
I have several different power saws I can use.
    William

I would use a sawzall (reciprocating saw) slowly and carefully. Could also use a circular saw on the wood discs (with some measuring) then a jig saw for the round center.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

If you could get a hold of a table band saw to use you could have better control over holding it in place and speed of cut. A frame shop might have one.

• Kathie Mathewsl
    Kathie Mathewsl

A Dremel will do it. It is small and has several different blades to work with.

• Anna Ibarra
    Anna Ibarra

I used a circular saw, but it didn't reach the whole circumference, then I used a hand saw. It didn't cut evenly, but with my project it didn't matter, & they were small spools. I'm thinking a jigsaw, or reprecicating saw may work.
  • Darla
    Darla

Clamp it in one of those clamping work tables, and use a manual pull saw on the ends. Then maybe a sawzall for the thick center.

• Aud7492923
    Aud7492923

Just curious - what are you planning to do with the two halves?

• Linda
      Linda

I plan to put yarn or jute string around it, so it looks like spool of thread. Going to hang on walls in my craft room. The wood will be small shelves for small antique irons etc .

• Chris
    Chris

The safest way would be to use a bandsaw it have to have enough clearance to go through, clamp guides to keep it straight.

• Mona Clark
    Mona Clark

I made these for my sewing room, love love love them. I purchased the spool at Lowes for $1 and they cut it for free. Greatest bargain ever.

• G fink
    G fink

My preference would be a chain saw. Brace it, cut slowly.

• Lori
    Lori

Saw zaw will work. A lot of the spools has metal rebar in the cylinder part to stabilize them, so use caution.

• Deo13156210
    Deo13156210

I use to cut all my wooden spools with a chain saw.