What color front door to compliment the house's exterior color?

+116
My home is a burn't orange color with tan windows and tan trim. I have a dark brown door now but in picture you can hardly see the door. What color would pop on this color, as close as you can guess? Thank you.
q what color of front door to compliment house exterior color , doors, painting, Ranch style home one story Need to add more color for curb appeal Want to paint door a pop color like olive green What about the trim around windows Do I need to do something to change that color Thanks
Ranch style home, one story. Need to add more color for curb appeal. Want to paint door a pop color, like olive green? What about the trim around windows? Do I need to do something to change that color? Thanks
  • Pol10332237 Pol10332237 on Oct 19, 2016
    Barn red.
  • Cynthia Davis Cynthia Davis on Oct 19, 2016
    Teal
  • Arlene Ball Arlene Ball on Oct 19, 2016
    Green
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 19, 2016
    I would choose a golden yellow to compliment the rest of the house.
  • Pam Ferrier Swaine Pam Ferrier Swaine on Oct 19, 2016
    dark hunter green
  • Sev12234828 Sev12234828 on Oct 19, 2016
    I agree with teal or slate blue
  • Adele DuranGO Adele DuranGO on Oct 19, 2016
    I always do color studies. Here you go! PLEASE CLICK ON PICTURES to see her actual house with 4 door colors. Dark colors fade away in the shadows. The door disappears. So hunter green, navy, any color darker than 50% -- will all disappear as well. White is a good choice, golden tan, softer greens or blues will do well.
    • Adele DuranGO Adele DuranGO on Oct 27, 2016
      Did another set of color studies showing the trim lightened to white (in shadow) and other recommended colors.
    Because you are in shadow -- dark colors like hunter green will give you the same dark effect & recede. Paint trim same light color to pop frame. Then paint door in trim color, teal, gold, green or grey or.... Stay light!
  • Sandra. Jackson Sandra. Jackson on Oct 19, 2016
    As you already have tan trims so why not paint the door a cream colour that way it would go with all the other colours
  • Chi12839854 Chi12839854 on Oct 19, 2016
    I would go with a harvest yellow color because you want the door to stand out and be easy to see. Homes with doors that do not show up well are not welcoming.
  • Melissa Melissa on Oct 19, 2016
    Cream, I recently used Romano from Lowe's color 7003-15. It a pretty cream or buttery cream
  • SBlizzard SBlizzard on Oct 19, 2016
    My first thought was a blue, but I think based on Adele DuranGO's pics, I would chose that light green. I also agree a white trim would be a nice change.
  • Linda Deshazier Linda Deshazier on Oct 19, 2016
    I would try either bright yellow or kelly green (St. Patrick's Day color)
  • Pam Pam on Oct 19, 2016
    Stick with a darker color than your trim but light enough to pop.
  • Lauramichca Lauramichca on Oct 19, 2016
    Same tan, or same orange, or explore lighter shades of either, or a rich forest/emerald green that isn't too dark or light. But unless you paint it day-glow I doubt anything will really pop in all of that shadow (North facing?). Try to find a way to bring in more light to there. For example LED spotlights from the eaves or the garden would help, solar ones with any light-sensor disabled would be best. Oh, and I like Bonnie Miles idea about the garage door too. Good luck!
  • Bonnie Miles Bonnie Miles on Oct 19, 2016
    I would do the door and trim in white. Next best would be a cream to match the trim. I would also paint the garage door the same if possible.
  • Rita Scheibeler Rita Scheibeler on Oct 19, 2016
    I would choose Navy Blue
  • Bre12296288 Bre12296288 on Oct 19, 2016
    Our house is peachy with darker peach shutters and my painter suggested a beautiful green door
  • Hhe6378054 Hhe6378054 on Oct 19, 2016
    tarnished gold/brass let people know where the front door is
  • Sandra Webster Sandra Webster on Oct 19, 2016
    What color is your house? Hard to tell from photo. Is it brick...can you get closer up?
    • Lorri R Lorri R on Oct 19, 2016
      This is from the beginning of the post. "My home is a burn't orange color with tan windows and tan trim. I have a dark brown door now but in picture you can hardly see the door" :)
  • Janet Rung Peck Janet Rung Peck on Oct 19, 2016
    I would do teal/turquoise and add shutters to mat.
  • Lori Lori on Oct 19, 2016
    I'm a Designer and say Navy Blue.
  • Pam Bean Pam Bean on Oct 19, 2016
    Something in the blue family.
  • Suzanne Lee Suzanne Lee on Oct 19, 2016
    I too agree with blue. Think I like turquoise, but teal might work as well.
  • Patricia Campbell Patricia Campbell on Oct 19, 2016
    I like the Navy, or maybe French blue.
  • Judy Judy on Oct 19, 2016
    I like the teal idea, since it is a favorite color. Another option is yellow Whatever color you choose for your door do shutters and trim in the same basic color. If you want to spice it up do different varations of the same color by lightning or darkening it up. Add landscaping with varing hights and color that compliment what you choose for your door.
  • Aimee Rountree Aimee Rountree on Oct 19, 2016
    I would pick a brighter color (say buttermilk or cream or a nice bright yellow) to make it pop.
  • K K on Oct 19, 2016
    I painted the door on my orange house blue.
  • Vee Vee on Oct 19, 2016
    Snow White
  • Vee Vee on Oct 19, 2016
    you may paint the trim white and/or yellow door and trims really pop
  • Barbara Bierniat Meloche Barbara Bierniat Meloche on Oct 19, 2016
    I also painted my door a blue with orange brick looks amazing
  • Anne Anne on Oct 19, 2016
    Paint the house white and it will look huge. Then pick a bright color you love like blue or green or red or even yellow
  • Lok12371318 Lok12371318 on Oct 19, 2016
    Forest Green
  • Des9431231 Des9431231 on Oct 19, 2016
    cobalt blue or a rich chocolate brown
  • Pamela J. Ludington-Rice Pamela J. Ludington-Rice on Oct 19, 2016
    How about a lighter shade of grey? If you don't like the other ideas! Almost a silver grey would show much better than the brown and you have the shutters a darker grey so in the same color palette.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Oct 19, 2016
    Try a bright sunshine yellow.
  • Linda kelley Linda kelley on Oct 19, 2016
    I agree with Sophia...a yellow would stand out and add color!! Put a couple of pots painted the same color with plants in them...very pretty
  • Lou Lou on Oct 19, 2016
    Please provide close up photos of your house. What are 5 of your favorite colors?
  • Suzann Suzann on Oct 19, 2016
    I would paint it a lighter orange red color that compliments the house color but is light enough to be seen from afar.
  • Alicesaunders Alicesaunders on Oct 19, 2016
    blue,pick a color chip and see hat color blue will be the most attrative
  • Julie Coates Julie Coates on Oct 19, 2016
    If you want it to really pop I would use a bright orange like this one from Valspar. Island Orange . No affiliation just a pretty orange. http://images.myperfectcolor.com/repositories...
  • Elaine Elaine on Oct 19, 2016
    A surefire way to make something "pop" is to paint the item the opposite (or "complimentary") color. The opposite of orange/yellow is blue, opposite of red is green. Go on Google and type in "Color Wheel" and you will see what I'm referring to. Whatever you choose for your door, don't paint the garage doors the same. Decorators will always tell you that it's best to NOT draw attention to garage doors but put the focus on the front door. I can't see your photo very well but I would have chosen what you already have ... brown! Reason being is that I prefer a muted, monogamous color choice - meaning that I stay in (sort of) the same color range but choose lights and darks of that same color. You want your door to pop (so you said), so a Complimentary choice is best for you. When you pull up a Color Wheel on Google, type in words such as: Complimentary, Monogamous and Analgous and it will help you a lot. Good Luck. PS: even though you don't have a "red" house, a muted Sage Green would be nice too.
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Oct 19, 2016
    Try a bright deep yellow
  • Sylvia Duran Sylvia Duran on Oct 19, 2016
    I would go with yellow...in the picture everything looks kinda dark...yellow would bring out the happiness from your lovely home...