Rustic Curtain Rod & Corbels With Sheet Curtains

$51

Slowly but surely I'm trying to make a change with my home decor, and that change includes my window treatments. Rob and I purchased our house four years ago and I've had the same treatments up ever since--I don't know what I was thinking when I chose the curtains and rods that I did--but nevertheless, I chose what I did and now I'm changing everything up. I love the rustic farmhouse feel but I don't want to do what EVERYBODY is doing and have my entire house white and grey; I'm a color girl so I've got to have a bright pop here and there. For now though, I'm starting with neutral window treatments in the living room, then will tackle the couch/throw pillow situation, and so on. Here's a great curtain rod, corbel and curtain project for the rustic-lovers like myself.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
rustic curtain rod corbels with sheet curtains, home decor, window treatments
Buy the materials here:

Not pictured (optional):
*Note: I ended up not using the danish oil on this project.
STEP 1: Drill divot in corbels *The first two photos of this step are optional but recommended.* In order to drill the divots for the curtain rod to rest in, I wanted to make sure that my corbels would have something to rest against so they didn't move around when I was drilling. To secure the corbels, I nailed a piece of scrap wood onto my work table for the corbel to lay flush against...
...then I used a clamp to hold the corbels in place on my work table.
After my corbels were in place, I drilled a 1/2" divot using a 1-1/2" hole saw. Hindsight, for this size dowel, I would have made a divot the same size as the diameter of the dowel which was 1-1/4".
STEP 2: Paint corbels Next, I used a vintage white color by Behr called "Cozy Cottage" to quickly paint the corbels and dowel.
*Note: When painting the dowel, try to use the longest strokes you can so that you can't see where you stop and start with the brush.
STEP 3: Sand corbels and rod After my paint was dry, I took a piece of rough grit sandpaper to create a worn look for both my corbels and dowel as well as to even out any rough/frayed edges from where I drilled my divot.
I found that holding my piece of sandpaper like this made it easier to slide up and down the dowel--I moved the dowel using one hand while holding the sandpaper in the other.
STEP 4: Apply stain Once my corbels and dowel were roughed up, I used a rag to apply my grey stain. I barely dipped my rag into my stain and used that to rub it in evenly. The darker you want your curtain rod/corbels, the more layers of stain you should add after each layer dries.
[Pay no attention to my gross stained nails--I was too impatient to put on gloves.] A word of advice for applying stain to the dowel: try your hardest to use long strokes like how you did for the paint--you don't want to see where you start and stop with the stain.
STEP 5: Iron sheets (optional) While you're waiting for your stain to dry, you may want to run an iron over your sheets. Mine were super wrinkled since they were wrapped up in packaging so I took the time to steam/iron them. After your wood pieces are dry and your sheets are nice and crisp, you can now install your corbels, slide your curtain rings on the dowel, clip your sheets on the curtain rings, stand back and marvel at your hard work!
Here's my curtains/rod before--very traditional, and to me, BLAH--but they did go better with my couch/pillows.
Here is the final look of the rustic corbels/rod and sheet curtains! I know they don't go with my couch right now but once I nail down what accent colors I want to go with, I'm thinking I'll make some DIY pillow covers since these throw pillows are our couch cushions. I'm open to suggestions and photos for inspiration! Farmstyle+Boho Chic ;)
Finally, here is a close up (yes, I know I scratched the wall--I've got some holes to fill too from the former curtain rod).
Update photo: WE GOT A NEW COUCH!! :) I love the curtains with this couch so much better. We're still changing up our decor so we have some things that need to be hung but all-in-all I'm loving our new airy space.

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=corbels+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acorbels+&_encoding=UTF8&tag=robcourtneymcreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=bea2c2780b0b77f6ac195903706da0ee&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Corbels (6"x8")</a>  (Amazon)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wooden+dowel&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awooden+dowel&_encoding=UTF8&tag=robcourtneymcreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=957432ff60a2d123eb663fe90221ae1c&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">7’ wooden dowel (1-1/4” dia.)</a>  (Amazon)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/DDSKY-Rustproof-Stainless-Interior-Diameter/dp/B01GC3GPRU/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1503233640&sr=1-6&keywords=curtain+rings&_encoding=UTF8&tag=robcourtneymcreator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=f276620b50ceb9bf46940ddc965c66c1&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">2" curtain rings</a>  (Amazon)

• JAN

What is a corbel?

• Dana

That would be the big wooden part to hold the rod in place. It's found in the wood section in the lumber store. Just ask a sales person to help you find them.

• Red11043114

A corbel is actually an angled shape that can be plain or elaborately carved but serves to support a straight piece (here it is the rod for the curtain) typically at 90-degree angle to 2 perpendicular surfaces. (shelves, a roof, decoration of an entry way)

• Both of these hometalkers gave great answers! You can usually find them in the lumber department at Home Depot or any other hardware store. They come in different styles and sizes.

• Ros4795750

a Corbel is actually a wood or plaster bracket they are used to hold up shelves or anything some have hole through them where you can thread a scarf ( curtain scarf) as a decorative accent. To an arch or windows or doors ..

• Dri7770529

How did you attach the corbels to the wall?

• Ron8951146

how to attach corbels to wall

• Dianab

how do you keep the rod from slipping off as there isn't anything on the ends to keep them from slipping off.

• Joanne Anderson

You could wrap sisal rope around as a rustic trim. I did precisely that when I made the shelf and drying rack in a similar fashion for my laundry room.

• Carla M

finial

• If you wanted to add something, I'm pretty sure they sell those little decorative accents you can screw into the edges. I personally wanted to keep a simple, rustic look.

• Neva Dew

Gravity - weight of curtain is enough. Caveat: kids and pets make this a no go

• 62q10370829

You can put screw into rod threw bottom of bracket to hold rod into place or put it into rod by the bracket to keep it from sliding .

• Pam Bondy

You can also hot glue a small strip of sandpaper on the bottom of the rod and on the holder where they meet. No slipping!

• Int2363025

The pole is called "closet pole", not dowel rod. Dowel rod lenghts are usually 3' or 36"

• Dianab

according to a dowel rod manufacturer rod lengths are "up to 12 feet" so I guess she can call it a dowel rod

• J.b. kelly

Hall right dianhb.Bring it on,sister.

• Lynne Webb

I don't see that that would present a problem. The bracket holding the rod won't allow a ring to pass by. If by chance you intentionally put a ring outside of that, you can use a small tack in an obscure place (back side). Might be a good idea. In doing so, it would keep the curtain from pulling in from the outer edge. I have had curtains do that in years past. Pull them together only to find out they'd pulled in too far leaving gaps on far left and right.

• Anneliese Clear

I did something similar in my living room, only instead of sheets, I bought 5 yards of semi-sheer gauze from the fabric store when it was on sale. I cut it in half (2.5 yards per panel) and hung it up with rings. The rings grip the gauze better than sheets, I found. It puddles a bit onto the floor, and is wrinkle-free. :-) So far, the cats & kids have not been an issue.

• Dra12142972

Where can you buy the rings for this project

• Dra12142972

where can you buy the rings for this project

• Scarlett Uhlenkott

how did you anchor it to the wall?
  • Barbara A. Howell

what keeps the rod in place? looks like it would slide off when you open and close the curtains.
    • Nothing but we would recommend either screwing in a decorative end cap to either end of the rod or possibly putting a small pin nail on the rod where it meets the inside and outside of the corbel to keep the rod stabilized.
    • Joanie

I have up the same plain, wooden rods and corbels. My curtains have a pocket (you can use sheets and use hem for pocket, (to your likin'). When I open or close, that is my stretchin' time , stretch up, slide over and hold your rod and it won't slide., unless you're NOT holdin' it. It works for me.
  • Marina Kesling

Why don't you use heavier fabric...the twin sheets just don't hang well.

• Betty

i also think they look good. The twin size sheets are cheaper and if you want more pleats you can add more.

• Gma

i also agree ... looks great - and if you like (obviously you chose to share) that’s all that matters and you’ve inspired so good for you! - as of now 280 + people have marked the “I want to do this!” Make it 281