How to clean silver?

+6
How do I clean silver?
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 19, 2016
    Dab white toothpaste on the tarnish and rub off with a clean towel. If the tarnish is really bad make a paste of baking soda and water and let sit on long enough to aid in the removal.
  • Canadianlady Canadianlady on Oct 19, 2016
    The easiest way to do it is to create a chemical reaction between aluminum foil, boiling water, and baking soda. This will clean the silver instantly. To do this, you simply take a sheet of aluminum foil and line the bottom of your sink or washtub with it. Generously sprinkle some baking soda over the aluminum foil, then lay your silver onto the foil, and pour boiling water over the silver. Watch as the oxidization on your silver magically cleans itself. If your silver is big and bulky, you can do one side at a time. Have fun!
  • William William on Oct 19, 2016
    I sell a lot of silver on Ebay, Jewelry, flatware, plates, and dishes. I have tried the aluminum, baking soda, and boiling water concept. The results weren't that great and left a grey film i still had to clean off. I use white tooth paste and a damp toothbrush. For larger items I use a fingernail brush. Works great and the brush gets into any details. Paper towels to wipe clean.
  • EDNA EDNA on Oct 19, 2016
    I have used NOXON for years - never failed me.
  • William William on Oct 19, 2016
    Noxon is for stainless steel, aluminum, chrome, pewter, brass, bronze and copper. As with many metal polishes, they remove some of the actual metal. I would not use any polish on silver or gold. Jewelry shops clean jewelry using ultra sonic cleaners. No chemicals or polishes.
  • Debra Weller Debra Weller on Oct 19, 2016
    Find a jeweler who sells Hagerty's silver cleaner. It will clean/remove tarnish from silver, without damaging the silver. Read the directions - DO NOT use it (or any silver cleaner) on jewelry containing pearls, coral, turquoise or other soft or porous stones. Likewise, do not use an ultrasonic cleaner on these soft stones. If you can find a jeweler with an ionic cleaner, it uses electricity with water and a mild soap solution to reverse the tarnish. It only takes 30 seconds or a minute, depending on how much patina you want to leave on the piece. My personal preference is the ionic cleaner. It only takes a few seconds and then a quick rinse and a little buffing to have a beautiful silver piece. My husband and I owned a bead store and sold jewelry and did jewelry repairs for many years.
  • Judy Stroke Judy Stroke on Oct 20, 2016
    I agree. Hagerty Silver Polish is the only one to use. It may take a little elbow grease but the results are worth it.
  • EDNA EDNA on Oct 20, 2016
    Sorry, but I used Noxon on our family's best silver from flatware to serving dishes, trays and it worked wonderfully. I never heard of Hagerty's so it's probably not available in New England. I cannot ever recall seeing anything on the label except for "Silver Polish" and it always did a wonderful job - at least 60 years worth of beautiful, shining silver. Haven't had the need for it past few years so can't speak to any new labeling.
  • Simon Simon on Feb 27, 2021

I am devastated! I used Noxon quick dip for decades. It was the most fantastic reduction agent I have ever seen. If you had an uncirculated silver coin that was tarnished, dip it in the cleaner, rinse with water, pat dry. 100% of the tarnish was instantly removed and the coin was undamaged.

My guess it was a hazardous chemical and they can’t sell it any more.