Fancy Fence

Our backyard was never completely fenced. Across our driveway was open and with two dogs (one of which that likes to run off) this situation had to be fixed. Since you would see this fence every time you pulled in the driveway we wanted something pretty, functional, but not too expensive.
We're not huge fans of closed privacy fenced yards. Our dogs like to look out and we like them to alert us when someone pulls in the driveway. By using farm grade fencing (but with smaller openings) we saved a lot of money vs using all wood.
My husband used lattice pieces on the top (also very inexpensive) and framed everything in with smaller boards to give it a more finished look. After the gate was built using a gate kit from Home Depot, he added a future flower bed on the front for me with inexpensive pressure treated landscape timbers. This bed will hold spring bulb plants.
He hand built the gate using the gate kit and dog eared fence boards for a fraction of the cost of buying a pre-made gate.
A little reminder for the grandkids and the meter reader! This will be another staining project for us in the spring!

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home

• Lisa Tarlton Wilson
    Lisa Tarlton Wilson

May I ask what the total, finished cost ended up being? Looks awesome!
    • Karen W
      Karen W

Well, bear in mind that we didn't have a whole yard to fence, just one side. This project was done quite a while ago and I'd be only guessing if I said $250? It may have been less or a little more. I'm sorry. If you'd asked me right after it was done I probably could be more accurate. :)
  • Libuse Harris-Brown
    Libuse Harris-Brown

Can you describe little closer how you did the fence? It looks like the wire is sendwith between the wood. I like to create fence between my neighbor cheap as possible. I love the look. I have all the tools I need, I'm maybe 65 years old female, but keep on going. Very handy.
    • Libuse Harris-Brown
      Libuse Harris-Brown

My issue is the wood. The wood he use don't look like treated wood. If you sandwich say 2x4, that is to thick. When I look for wood, treated the thinnest is 2".
  • Niki McKee
    Niki McKee

This is very pretty! What color(s) did y’all end up staining the wood? We need to redo our entire fenced in acre since an old oak fell and wrecked it but we want to do it as inexpensively as possible while still creating a sturdy, long lasting fence. Your tips about using farm grade wood are great! Also, what color(s) did y’all end up staining the wood? Our home is a deep yet vibrant green so idk what we would choose. Thanks for sharing your project!

• Karen Ballou
      Karen Ballou

I would use a gray stain for your fence. Would look awesome with the green of your house, plus makes it look like it is aged.

• Sandi
    Sandi

Very nice! Gave it an expensive tailored look while keeping a "home" feel . Love what you did with the top of the fence.
  • Karen W
    Karen W

Thank you so much, Sandi!