Christina
Christina
  • Saint Paul, MN

Entryway Board & Batten

This entryway needed some love to create a welcoming entrance into a beautiful home. Board & batten is an easy and inexpensive way to add instant character to a room. It can be done multiple ways, but I will show you my favorite way to create the look.
entryway board batten, crafts, home decor, how to, woodworking projects
Attach 1x3 pine boards vertically to the wall with nails. The width between the boards depends on the look you're going for, but I space the boards between 12-16" depending on the wall size.
Attach 1x4's horizontally above the 1x3's. To create a small box at the top, which is optional, add small boards vertically on top of the 1x4 board to square off the area. A 1x4 board will complete the box across the top.
Use a 1x2 pine board to mimic a ledge at the top of the 1x4. The ledge is optional, but it looks finished and gives an area to display some frames or artwork.
Add a small trim piece under the 1x2 ledge that was installed so it creates a seamless look.
Once all the boards are on the wall, paint the boards and the wall the same color. Hooks add useful space and look nice too!
What a difference a couple boards on a wall can make! The compliments will come rolling in if you try board & batten somewhere in your home! Check out my blog for the full tutorial!

Christina

• SusanBlue Greenwood

How to paint/dye/stain upholstery

• Cathy Bernard

Could you please drop into my email a quick overview on the procedures of to paint/.dye/stain upholstery as I live right near a habitat for humanity store and need used furniture and your techniques would work wonders. Can you do the same things to old and dirty lampshades? THANK You.

• Collette Whelan

hi this looks lovely. did you have to cut the pieces to size or are they readily available in those measurements?

• Christina

I cut the boards down to size because I wanted them a tad bit shorter. You can leave the boards at the 6 foot length if you don't mind them extending up the wall further.

• Becky

I LOVE your board & batten idea! The white is so crisp and yet welcoming. I can't access your blog, it says it is unavailable. I would love to see the full tutorial! I want to do this in my home now!

• Christina

Sorry my website was hacked so they took it down. I’m working with them to rid of the infected files. In the meantime if you want to email me I can help you through the steps! My email is chrissytorr@gmail.com.

• Sunshine Kat

SO LITERALLY THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!! I've been looking up Hall trees on Pinterest and the internet just everywhere and yeah minimum for something relatively close to what I want is about $175 and I'm not paying that much!!! Here's the thing though - we are renting and the specific walls in that area have textured wallpaper with sponge painted gold fleck accents - so any holes in any of those walls would be like impossible to cover backup!!! Any variations you can think of that would make it like free-standing cuz I was thinking just a simple tall bookcase and taking out some of the shelves and putting in hanging kind of hooks for jackets (etc...) - and then doing basket storage on the bottom half of the bookcase shelving are for gloves, and hats, and whatever else!!! Really need your help!!! TYIA & if possible, can you PLEASE PM me on Facebook - Sunshine Kat 🌞😻💜💖💗❣️

• Christina

I’m not sure if it’s the right person on fb so why donlt you message me at Christina Vitale Torres! We’ll figure something out!

• Dee

Yes! Finally a way to cover up my old, ugly, peeling wallpapered kitchen! I live in a 1940s house and didn't relish the idea of wallpapering again. Thank you for this "once and for all" beautiful look!