Entryway Board & Batten

This entryway needed some love to create a welcoming entrance into a beautiful home. Board & batten is an easy and inexpensive way to add instant character to a room. It can be done multiple ways, but I will show you my favorite way to create the look.
Attach 1x3 pine boards vertically to the wall with nails. The width between the boards depends on the look you're going for, but I space the boards between 12-16" depending on the wall size.
Attach 1x4's horizontally above the 1x3's. To create a small box at the top, which is optional, add small boards vertically on top of the 1x4 board to square off the area. A 1x4 board will complete the box across the top.
Use a 1x2 pine board to mimic a ledge at the top of the 1x4. The ledge is optional, but it looks finished and gives an area to display some frames or artwork.
Add a small trim piece under the 1x2 ledge that was installed so it creates a seamless look.
Once all the boards are on the wall, paint the boards and the wall the same color. Hooks add useful space and look nice too!
What a difference a couple boards on a wall can make! The compliments will come rolling in if you try board & batten somewhere in your home! Check out my blog for the full tutorial!
Christina

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions

Comments

2 of 47 comments
Next