Entryway Board & Batten

This entryway needed some love to create a welcoming entrance into a beautiful home. Board & batten is an easy and inexpensive way to add instant character to a room. It can be done multiple ways, but I will show you my favorite way to create the look.
Attach 1x3 pine boards vertically to the wall with nails. The width between the boards depends on the look you're going for, but I space the boards between 12-16" depending on the wall size.
Attach 1x4's horizontally above the 1x3's. To create a small box at the top, which is optional, add small boards vertically on top of the 1x4 board to square off the area. A 1x4 board will complete the box across the top.
Use a 1x2 pine board to mimic a ledge at the top of the 1x4. The ledge is optional, but it looks finished and gives an area to display some frames or artwork.
Add a small trim piece under the 1x2 ledge that was installed so it creates a seamless look.
Once all the boards are on the wall, paint the boards and the wall the same color. Hooks add useful space and look nice too!
What a difference a couple boards on a wall can make! The compliments will come rolling in if you try board & batten somewhere in your home! Check out my blog for the full tutorial!

Christina

• SusanBlue Greenwood

How to paint/dye/stain upholstery

• Cathy Bernard

Could you please drop into my email a quick overview on the procedures of to paint/.dye/stain upholstery as I live right near a habitat for humanity store and need used furniture and your techniques would work wonders. Can you do the same things to old and dirty lampshades? THANK You.

• Collette Whelan

hi this looks lovely. did you have to cut the pieces to size or are they readily available in those measurements?

• Christina

I cut the boards down to size because I wanted them a tad bit shorter. You can leave the boards at the 6 foot length if you don't mind them extending up the wall further.

• Becky

I LOVE your board & batten idea! The white is so crisp and yet welcoming. I can't access your blog, it says it is unavailable. I would love to see the full tutorial! I want to do this in my home now!

• Christina

Sorry my website was hacked so they took it down. I’m working with them to rid of the infected files. In the meantime if you want to email me I can help you through the steps! My email is chrissytorr@gmail.com.

• Olen

I love the batten board look. Do the 1x3 boards stick out farther than the baseboard?

• Christina

No they line pretty even minus the rounded part at the top of the baseboard but I’ve also done it where I’ve replaced the baseboards with the same material!