Antique Side Table Chooses Life

The argument goes like this:
"I'd never paint an antique...I think it's a crime to paint any wood furniture."
"Well, if nobody wants it and it's destined for the trash, why not update it to fit today's modern look?"
"It's a tragedy to paint it. Besides, it will just have to be stripped!"
"It's my piece of furniture, so I'll do what I want with it."
"It's a tragedy, I tell you!"
The debate will go on forever with no one convincing the other side - because we're all different. Some adore old, antique, hard to find original pieces. Some adore old, antique, hard to find original pieces painted.
That one word, "painted" is what freaks out many of those dyed in the wool antique lovers.
My take? Obviously I'm the painter person with no qualms about painting a piece of wood furniture. Hey, life is short and we ought to enjoy the things around us. Our home IS our castle and our tastes have their own unique flavor.
It's OK. Really. It is OK. It's just wood.
A piece of our history, you say? Yes it is. For me, it's a piece of history with a coat of paint on it. To fit my preferences. I just don't like old stuff...unless it's my DH of course...LOL. I liked my mom. She was old. But my furniture? I like it to look a certain way and that's OK. Just like it's OK if you prefer only the wood look.
Variety and uniqueness make the world a more interesting place!
So here is my little antique I got from an estate auction:
antique side table chooses life, home decor, painted furniture, painting, repurposing upcycling
From what I can tell via research, it was manufactured between 1912 and 1933 in Jamestown, NY at the Empire Case Goods store.
It was beat up, the finish was crackly and just wasn't pretty.
It needed help to live again and I was willing to revive it!
So we cleaned, sanded, repaired and then painted it with Old Fashioned Milk Paint, a gift from the company since I'm an OFMP Brand Blogger.
Basically it just means that I find amazing furniture with potential and paint it, blog about it, and you get to see how cool the OFMP is. It's a pretty good deal for all three of us!
I mixed up a few paint colors (OFMP comes as a powder) and found that at different times of the day, depending on the lighting, it can look plum, brown or even gray.
Here it is lookin' brown. I call this piece Pepper after my mom since she loved plum. I wish she was here to enjoy it!
I used a white to dry brush the details, and added Tung oil as a finish, also a gift from OFMP.
The original knob was too yellow after I cleaned it up, so I bought a new silver knob at Hobby Lobby.
If you're interested in the tutorial or more details on color, just hop on over to my post at Love My DIY Home at the link below. "Pepper" now needs to find a home! This one will be hard to let go!
Go to the link and say, "Hello" in a comment and let me know how you like Pepper!

• Milk Paint  (Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company)
  • Hope's 100% Tung Oil  (Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company)
  • Drawer Liner  (Fleet Farm)
Val Frania {Love My DIY Home}

• Roe39661759

Furniture of this age may be made from virgin forest wood which means it usually has a tight wood grain and virgin forest wood now days is rare because those forests are gone. Would have been nice to tried stripping with a thick paste stripper it to see the wood grain and determine the kind of wood it was such as cherry, ash, hickory, etc. for example. Once stripped and if it has a lovely grain, I find one can use Formby's Tung Oil in a low or high gloss finish to make a beautiful wood piece come to life. You did do a lovely finish job with tasteful colors.

• Glenda

I was ready to paint two small tables and sand them. My husband without asking me when ahead and prime them. Can still the same look as you?