Sarah Trop
Sarah Trop
  • Troy, NY

A Painted Hutch -Beast Turned Beauty

I got this hutch from my great Aunt Alice when she moved out of her house! l know some people are totally anti-furniture painting, but I am sure you can see that this piece had suffered wear and tear over the years and was in desperate need of a re-do, with several nicks, scratches, and worn edges. I love painted furniture, it breathes new life into something that might otherwise end up in a dark shed or
The Beast
The Beast
I looked at this hutch for WAY too long in my garage trying to think of how it could be beautiful. I’ve noticed some beautiful grey hutches in everything from designer magazines, to Martha Stewart lines, to Pinterest makeovers. A grey seemed just right for this hutch.
a painted hutch beast turned beauty, painted furniture
The first thing that had to go was the hideous hardware and those awful brass things in the glass door. When was that ever a good idea and why?? I love the combo of grey and copper and went hunting on Home Depot’s website. I found the new knobs and pulls in a jiffy.
On to the bottom right door. It was off, but definitely repairable, however instead of putting it back on, we decided to put in a custom wine rack. On the left side of the bottom half of the hutch, there is a drop down section that reveals a dry bar. That just seems to be a perfect fit for a wine rack.
A close up of the distressing
A close up of the distressing
We lightly sanded the entire piece prior to painting, I went with a cream on the back of the hutch to lighten it up a bit - Benjamin Moore's Navajo White. The grey we used is Benjamin Moore’s Anchor Grey. After everything was painted, we distressed and sealed it.

To see more: http://funcycled.com/projects/grey-and-white-hutch-makeover-tuesdays-treasures

• Larry Pettijohn

What are the 2 slender pulls(?) on each side of the double handled drawer? I have seen similar pullout shelf supports on a writing desk but these seem too far from the top "drawer" to be for that purpose?

• Chr4787838

I have desk and hutch with a very feminine details arches and curves. Was thinking of painting it white but then I saw your gray hutch makeover. Now I am going to do it in gray that will go better I think than white with my black furniture in my bedroom. The inside of the shelves I think will be the same white as yours. Thank you for a beautiful inspiration piece.

• Connie stelly

Is this for sale

• Sja34101306

What sheen of paint did you use and what did you seal it with?

• Ardis Olson

Your Aunt Alice would be so proud of how you gave her old hutch a new life. Nicely done!

• UpState

Usually not a tremendous fan of paint on a natural wood item...but, honestly - this one's really well done & looks great ! So many good to great pieces of natural wood furniture shown here are pretty much ruined with paint; but yours is truly an exception and an excellent job !