Cleaning native american mandalas

+4
I recently inherited numerous dreamcatchers as part of a collection. They range in size from 5" across to 20" across....many have pelts, many have feathers, many have beads and shells. They came from a smokers home and spent several years in a musty basement. Is there a way to clean and salvage them? They have great sentimental value. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thank you
  • Barbara Rodts Barbara Rodts on Oct 23, 2016
    Try this. First, gently blow dust from items with hair dryer set on cool and low. Next, place items one at a time in bag filled with a box of cornmeal. Shake bag for several minutes. Check cornmeal for soiling and change as needed. When clean, place items in sealed box with activated charcoal for one week.
    • Laurie Miles Laurie Miles on Oct 23, 2016
      Thank you so much...I thought about baking soda but never thought of corn meal or charcoal
  • I would also contact a museum and see what they would suggest. These are a work of art and they might have some helpful suggestions. Have you thought of shadowboxing them for display?
  • Holly Holly on Sep 09, 2020

I to have a large mandala and mine is very dirty. It’s a lot worst then this now. The bottom is black

• Bingo Bingo on Dec 13, 2020

Did this work im in almost the identical situation and would love to be able to salvage my father's dream catchers.