Hallway Makeover With White Painted Trim

This summer I spent a TON of time painting my wood trim in the upstairs of my house white. Today I’m going to share the hallway makeover that made a huge impact! If you want to see more, be sure to stop by my blog when you're done reading!
This was the hallway in my home, dark and outdated oak from the 1980's. I couldn't wait to set started bettering and brightening this space! The door to the right enters into the bathroom, the door straight ahead with the sign on it enters the nursery, and the door to the left enters the master bedroom. This hallway gets a lot of use, as you can imagine.
I did something a little different with the doors. After removing them, instead of doing white like the rest of the trim, I decided to go with gloss black.
I painted them outside on our patio and transformed the door handles by spray painting them black.
What was once an outdated, dark hallway is now transformed to a bright and modern space.
I’m not going to lie, all of this was an incredible amount of work. Each door frame took three coats and each coat took an hour. I spent most of the months of June and July painting trim in my free time. Although, when I look at the HUGE improvement between these before and after pictures, I know it was all worth it.
At first I didn’t love the drastic contrast between the black doors and white trim, but it has really grown on me. I think it looks much more modern.
It just looks SO different! If you liked these before and after photos, please share them!
Thanks for reading! Stop over to my blog to see more before and afters of my white trim transformation to be published on Monday!

Welcome to the Woods

• Valerie Jennison

I want to ask about the writings on the one wall...could you post a pic of that please... did you make them yourself? -oh and your hallway looks great! Thanks!

• I have a question about spray painting your door handles. I've spray painted the hardware/handles in our kitchen on the cupboards and drawers, and the paint just peels and rubs right off. I've even "repainted" them with primer and then paint again to no avail. How did you do your door handles to keep them put? I don't want to purchase new hardware: painting is so much the lesser expensive way of going. Please advise. Thanks! Btw, I do think the "after" is so much better, cleaner and brighter than the "before"! :) What a great new look!

• Welcome to the Woods

It is true no paint lasts forever. They will hold up better if you sand with steel wool first, then wash with hot water and dish soap to remove grease. Let them completely dry and coat them with spray primer and paint (oil-based) that is made for metal. I also think purchasing new hardware for cabinets is not too expensive and Craigslist or your local Habitat for Humanity store are great resources. Good luck to you!

• NancyMaria

What about a clear coat on top? And what type?

• Sheila Martinez Westbrook

I really like this! Especially since this is what I'm in the middle of doing 1960s home painting the trim white and the doors but now you have me rethinking the color...my husband is going to kill me! 😵
  • Barb

Looks stunning and lots of hard work Paid off, I’m Wanting to do this same project, so how did you paint the baseboard trim with out getting it on the carpet. I look forward to your reply. ❤️👏🏼💪👊🏼