Guest Bathroom Redo With Shiplap & Concrete Counter Top

$800
Advanced

We have been renovating our 1960's house, one room at a time and finally got around to our guest bathroom. I wanted to try shiplap and building a concrete counter top - for the first time.
guest bathroom redo with shiplap concrete counter top, bathroom ideas, concrete masonry, countertops
The after photo of the counter, sink, and shiplap.
This is a photo of the sink before we got started - your typical white laminate sink. The cabinet base was in pretty good shape, so we decided to try to concrete finish on top of the laminate - using Henry's Feather Finish.
After two thin layers of the Henry's Feather Finish - messy and not smooth at all. We also had a hard time keeping the concrete on the sides. There were two doors going in to this bathroom (for some reason), the one across from the sink went in to a bedroom and the one across from the toilet, went in to the hallway. We removed the door going in to the bedroom, framed it out and put shiplap over it.
We used barn wood to make a shelf on the back of the counter and to frame the sides of the concrete counter top. I have read lots of reviews and renovations using concrete and most people had issues with the concrete chipping on the edges and corners - so I thought the wood frame would help avoid that.
Sink was put in and shiplap started on the walls.
Before of the tub - green tile from the 60's and no light in the tub/shower area.
Tile removed, new cement wall board installed. We added a shelf at the end of the tub for shampoos and soaps.
Tile done - we love it already! Also, installed a ceiling light over the tub/shower - the fan was already installed over the toilet area.
Shiplap installed, now to paint it!
Painted the shiplap with Kilz primer.
Love the new look!
The walls were painted a light grey to coordinate with the new bathroom.
New tub, ready for guests!

• Tile
  • Paint
  • Primer

• Barbara

Gorgeous
    love that old bench
    bath is beautiful

• Dee Ann Kennemer McFalls

I love it, great job! I may try and talk my hubby into putting in a concrete countertop in our kitchen. Our house was also built in the 60s and we have a very ugly black laminate countertop.
    • Cindy Hagemann

While I love it in my bathroom - I would never want this in my kitchen. After much research we put butcher block in our kitchen and love it!