Cindy
Cindy
  • Bossier City, LA

How to Make a Tomato Cage Ghost

$2.00

Have you seen the Ghost made from a tomato cage idea floating around the internet? (heh heh – floating)
My flowerbed had a blank area that needed a little something to complete our Halloween decorations but didn't want to spend much money. Then while playing in the backyard my daughter and I decided to use our tomato cages to make some sort of decoration. We settled on a ghost and went to Walmart this weekend for the only money I spent on this little project – $2 for a yard of white fabric.
First, the tomato cage was turned upside down and a cleaned gallon jug was turned upside down and tied to the three prongs by the jug's handle.
Next I tied one corner of an old sheer curtain to the cage. Then I put the curtain over the gallon jug and adjusted the curtain to be centered.
Now one side had this big opening so I tied one corner to the tomato cage. Then tucked the other corner behind that and tied it to the tomato cage so that one side is overlapping the other.
Now I put the $2 yard of fabric on top and marked where to draw the eyes and mouth. I took this fabric back off and used a permanent marker for these. Then put the fabric back on and attached the top fabric to the curtain with safety pins.
This was one of the easiest crafts to make and only cost $2. It also visually fills up a good amount of space for the front yard decorations. If you are looking for last minute Halloween decorations, then this might be perfect!

• Fabric
  • Tomato Cage
  • Permanent Marker
Cindy

• MB Summers

What else could you use if you don't have an old shear curtain lying around?

• Annmarie

You can use a old white sheet. Walmart has one sheer panels for very cheap.

• Gina Ryker

Why did you use the sheer below the material and it isn't listed under materials, did you make any without the sheer underneath the material.

• Sharon Lynn Puckett

Did u paint the face on ? Or did u use stickers?? BTW great job

• Rhonda Smith

I've made this, but used a large paper,lantern ball for the head. I attached white lights underneath It takes more than. A yard of fabric. I put 1 1/2 yards in one piece over the top, then 1 yard over that, and marked eyes. The 2 layers layered, gives a soft glow without the cage showing through.

When you attach the paper lantern, string the lights straight through then to the cage. That way the head will glow too.

• Virgie Saraesqui

Thank you Cindy for this great idea, will do this with my grand-kids as well as the idea from Terry and Rhonda!!