Re Purpose Left Over Blind Slats

$10.00

I decided to repurpose blind slats left over from replacing blinds in the house.
Before
Here was the old painted backsplash after the new kitchen cabinets and quartz counter top were installed, We were replacing blue paint for the green and deciding on what to do for the backsplash.
Extra blind slats
I had extra blind slats from replacing window blinds in the house and I decided to use them as a shiplap backsplash. The blind slats have a faux wood grain appearance which would be perfect for shiplap.
I cut multiple blind slats using a miter box & hack saw - the small teeth on the blade worked better then the miter saw that came with the box. I cut the slats close to the hole in the slats where the string would go through on the blinds. I used scissors to make small cuts - the slats are a soft material and easy to cut with scissors.
Install faux shiplap
I installed the slats as though I was installing tile backsplash, alternating seams and using all purpose interior clear Loctite power grab adhesive and 5/8 brads to hold the slats in place until the adhesive dried. Depending on your wall, you can use the adhesive and some blue painters tape until the slat is dried.
Here are the alternating seams. The area was 2'X9' I used 50 slats the length varied in size from 14" to 16" and 10 6" slats so the seams alternate.
I filled in the brads with spackle
I painted the slats with a white paint first then brushed gray paint to bring out the faux wood in the slats.
I dry brushed the gray paint to incorporate the paint into the slats to mimic wood.
Backsplash completed!
And here's the completed backsplash above the window. This is a cheap backsplash even if you don't have the extra blind slats. There are about 30 slats in a 2' blind and the blinds vary from $25.00 to $40.00.

• Erin

This is one of the best results I’ve seen for one of these projects. It looks really professional. Congratulations!

• Pat

3 years later still looks good, thank you.

• Vickie Wever Crain

Wonder how it would do cutting them the size of subway tile?

• Pat

The blinds I used have were white with a raised wood look. If you find the same size slats with a smooth finish that would look grate with less cost of tile. Happy upcycling.

• Dee Drobny

Where did you get the hanging lamp that is above the sink?

• Hope Powell

I did a similar project on my closet wall. I got the blinds out of the dumpster at my local thrift store. It looks awesome.

• Pattie
    2 hours ago

Great idea! I will have to try this. Thanks