DIY Wood Pillar Stand {from Thrift Store Bowls}

What's better than a trip to the thrift store? A trip that's so successful, you can barely make it to the checkout without dropping things. That's the story of my latest excursion - and just wait until you see what I did with my favorite find that day!
diy wood pillar stand from thrift store bowls , crafts, pallet, repurposing upcycling
These 7 humble little wood bowls were my very best find that day because when I saw them, I knew right away what I'd do with them. Don't you just love it when that happens?
I started by giving them a light sanding on the tops and bottoms, then gluing them together. I put the first bowl upside down, the stacked the rest on top in pairs, tops together.
Once it was totally dry, I gave the whole thing a good sanding to get rid of the remaining varnish.
Not only did I know exactly what I wanted to make with the bowls, but I was also itching to do another crackle paint project. For the first layer I used an ivory acrylic craft paint. It took 3 coats to get complete coverage. After the last coat was dry, I gave it a generous coating of crackle medium. If you haven't used it before, you'll want to make sure you don't skimp here. The best crackle happens when you've given it a good coating of medium.
Once the crackle medium was completely dry, I added the top layer of paint, which was a combination of gray, white, brown, and gold. This was my favorite part of the whole project because I played around with my technique until I found something that gave me the mottled look I had in mind. Visit the blog for details on how I used all four colors at once, without blending them into one single color. Even before I finished painting the whole stand, the crackle effect began to appear - so fun!
Finally, I added a pewter plate - which I also found at the thrift store and gave the same paint job as the base - a set of three candles, and a short ivy garland I had in my craft collection, and it was finished!

• 7 wood bowls  (thrift store)
  • Pewter plate  (thrift store)
  • Elmer's wood glue  (Wal-Mart)
To Work With My Hands

• Peggy Thomas

Is there a name for the type of bowls you used

• Carolyn Noyer

Do they make crackle paint in the ivory or a cream color, I really liked that shade?

• To Work With My Hands

The crackle medium is clear. When you paint over it, that's what crackles so you can make it any color you choose. Hope this helps, and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• Hma21654760

Diid you add anything to prevent it from tipping over? (Especially with real candles.)

• Cheryl Lewis

I agree with what the others are saying! And I also love projects that I can see the end results the same day.

• Annie

cool idea!!