To see more: http://www.clockparts.com/
I haven't posted in a little while and I'm excited to show my latest project! We recently switched bedrooms for our daughter Olivia from upstairs to our first floor second bedroom and Olivia wanted a new theme ( you can see some of her first bedroom makeover that I did in my projects). This time she wanted an " enchanted forest" which is my favorite because I really love trees..
I have always wanted an old antique bedroom set and stay on the lookout for one that is affordable. My limit was $250 and I had been keeping my eye out on local swap shop sites and Craigslist. Low and behold I found the bed and a dresser for $200. The ads pictures looked like it was in decent shape and stated that it really did not need a lot of work just a few minor things. Not! When I went to pick it up my husband was a flat out “No”, this is just junk, it would require way to much money, time, and work to bring it back to original. I refused to leave it, I paid the lady as my husband turned red and looked about ready to leave me there with the bedset. We started loading and as we did pieces began to crack and break and I cringed inside hoping it wasn’t a wasted $200. I got it home and accessed the damage. I had to do a lot of reinforcements on the headboard because of its height. There was a lot of detail that had to be replicated with wood filler and trim. The footboard was cracked and the marble tops to the dresser were cracked. I started pricing what it was going to be to bring this back to original and decided that it was just not doable. I pondered on leaving it in storage until I had the time and money. I had come up with something else. My home is very rustic/Farmhouse so painting it would work. I know a lot of people cringe when they see old pieces painted but sometimes that is the only solution. So I began tediously repairing the bed and replacing the marble tops on the dresser with wood.
Add a personalized touch to your autumn decor with fresh blooms and pumpkins. It’s an elegant take on decorating a pumpkin that makes a statement whether it is at your front door to welcome guests, part of a seasonal display in a room, or to style up your Thanksgiving table.
My lovely wife Mariko and I are clock collectors! We collect old Japanese mechanical movement box clocks and display them around our house. We've dedicated a hallway to our favorite clocks too. An entire hallway full of tick-tock clocks! Imagine the sound at the top of every hour! I actually need to stop them all if my daughter has friends sleep over, because they say the noises scare them at night. Why clocks? I've always been fascinated by the movement in a windup clock. I have a lot of success fixing junk clocks too. I found three junk Aichi Super Eight clocks at an on-line auction and was able to fix all three movements. This post is about the fixed and flipped clocks.
Have you too noticed the farmhouse clock craze of late?Well, I couldn't just stand by and watch it all happen!So I dug through my scrap wood and junk pile stash, dreaming up a way to create my own take on a clock... with no working clock parts in stock I might add.The result is a fun take on a classic... you'll soon see what I mean. Who wants to be on time anyway?!Here's how I made this:
I love to decorate for Fall and have been looking for inexpensive ways to add more pumpkins to my decor. While at Haven conference, I received a round piece of wood and a clock kit (from Walnut Hollow) in the Deco Art session, so I used it and made it into a seasonal clock!
This project has been a long time coming and took us a total of 6 months from start to finish. My husband and I did all the work ourselves without hiring out a single bit of it. It's a lot of work living in an 1800's farmhouse but we're passionate about restoring it and this was a room we've wanted to renovate from the very beginning.
I found this gem on the side of the road. Yes it wasn’t pretty but definitely had potential. It was missing a side rail. Easy fix right? And of course I can just take my sawz-all to the ratten seat and replace it. I loaded it up and left it for a couple of months. It has been rained on numerous times. I even thought about throwing it away a couple of times. FINALLY I got off my rear and went to town on it. I cleaned it up with some vinegar and wiped it down really good. I left it to dry a few hours and took my hand sander and used 120 grit to sand off the rough spots and help paint adhere to it. It was black and I thought I probably need to use primer. I didn’t though. After sanding I measured where the side bar was gone and replaced it. You can see it in the photo below. All is used was my jig saw to cut the piece and a few wood screws to make it stay in place.
For many years we have an ikea tv unit, in a beech effect MDF, but sometimes, much as I hate waste I grow to strongly dislike an item. Over the years my taste for interior decor has changed. Modern televisions are growing in size so the search for a new to us tv unit led to considering repurposing a coffee table.
The holidays are a special time of year for many people. No matter where you live, chances are people are decorating for whichever holiday they are celebrating! I made a pretty cool piece of holiday yard decor using a large piece of PVC pipe and a few accessories!
I found these metal barstools at the thrift store, and I knew they had a lot of potential! I gave them a quick and easy makeover and now they're absolutely gorgeous. If you love this project, you can see more easy and affordable DIY ideas on my blog, Love & Renovations.
I love to use tin around our home. It's an easy way to add rustic charterer to a door, bar, or wall. What's ideal is finding some good weathered pieces. But that's not always an option. So here is a quick and easy way to distress brand new tin to give it a worn and weathered look to finish off your next rustic project.