How To Tile a Patio Wall in a Morning

We recently had a some plumbing work done on our patio and the builders left this hot mess behind. Don't you just hate it when a builder does sloppy work? The contractor knew how to do all the plumbing bits, but when it came to finishing things off, he didn't have a clue.
how to tile a patio wall in a morning, container gardening, home maintenance repairs, how to, outdoor living, patio, tiling
This is our holiday home and when we're there we spend a lot of time on the patio enjoying this view.
The last thing I wanted was to get distracted by the mess the builder left behind. I'm a bit anal when it comes to things like that. We had two choice, get someone to fix the problem for us or do it ourselves. Not much of a choice really when you don't have a lot of money so we went for the DIY option. Because we don't have a tile cutter we decided to use pebble tiles. You can just use a pair of scissors to cut the mesh.
We chose a dark grey adhesive to match the darkest colored pebble on the sheet and mixed it according to the instructions.
Using a trowel we applied the adhesive evenly onto the rough, yucky patio wall and then squished the pebble tiles into the adhesive.
The best thing about using pebble tiles is you can just use a pair of scissors to cut it when it doesn't quite fit into the space. Note to self: Please wear gloves the next time . I think I lost all my finger prints tiling the patio wall.
We didn't buy enough tiles to go all the way around - it's a budget thing, so I removed some of the pebbles from the mesh and made a hubby a big, fat heart just to remind him how much I love him.
The adhesive works really well as a paint too ;-)
Okay so I lost my finger prints somewhere on that wall, but I really think it was worth every second. I'd love to hear what you think about the makeover? To see the full tutorial, come say hi on the blog. Maybe you can help me find my fingerprints somewhere?

• Pebble Tiles
  • Adhesive
A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Janice Peterson

does the mesh disappear into the adhesive? or did you add grout later?

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Hi Janice, it depends on how thick you apply the adhesive. If the it's quite thick then the adhesive goes through the mesh when you push the tiles on and it looks like grout. I added more adhesive in some places where I didn't put a thick enough layer on afterwards

• Senior Chief

Looks great.....pebbles was a good idea!

• Rhonda S

I would add the grout. Holding the mesh in place is not the issue. Keeping water from getting behind the pebbles and freezing, causing frost heave which will eventually loosen the stones and cause pebble tile loss is more important. It may take two or three seasons, but a bit of water and a freeze/thaw cycle can move large blocks, not just little pebbles. The grout serves to help the surface shed water as well as give a smoother surface with fewer places to trap dirt and debris. I like the way it looks, but unless I was in a clearly tropical area, I would add grouit.

• Rhonda S

You can use dark grey grout if you want to keep the color contrast with the lighter stones.

• Karin Whyte

Was it ok after there was frost? It's beautiful btw

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

We don't normally get severe frost here in Kwazulu Natal, it's s sub tropical area but it did survive a tornado
    • Rhonda S

I'm glad to hear that you didn't have issues with frost heave. That would really trouble me. I would also be concerned about insects finding the stones to be the perfect hiding places. We live in a desert, and anywhere there is shade, there is likely a spider or some other creature taking cover. Enjoy it in good health. The view is breathtaking.

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

The stones are, I think, pressed stones or something like that, so not real and we get some huge creepy crawlies in Natal. I'd hate for them to find a shady spot there

• Lisa Perez Torelli

Great job!! Love the heart. Is it holding up with the weather?

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Yup, it is. We tiled the patio more than 2 years ago and it still looks great. I'm very pleased with it. It's now one of our fav spots

• Lisa Perez Torelli

So cool. Thanks for the idea. I was thinking of making a patio table, out of a door and then using the flat pebble tile. :)

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

That's will look amazing Lisa. Please let me know how it turns out

• Diane Minnella Marretta

Can I use this as a walk way

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

I'm sure you can Diane, I suppose it just depends on the traffic. We used similar pebble tiles in our shower that gets used daily and they still look as good as the day we put them in. I would suggest that you adhere the pebble tiles to a cement paver or something like that to create a stronger base. The tiles are pretty thin (maybe 2 cm or 6/8") so if they don't have a base to sit on they will probably break

• Heidi Stuart

if I have a cinderblick wall do you think it would work? Clever idea!

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Without a doubt. In fact it would work beautifully. The tile adhesive will have a better grip on the cinderblocks than on the plastered wall.

• Judy Foreman Horton

Did you use grout at the end, or did the adhesive cover the netting?

• Terry Oyadomari

Where is the best place to purchase the rock tiles?

• Malila Shalizi

So very cool.. 😍

• Vicky

I was just looking at river rock tile to maybe put around my hearth after the flooring is done. Where did you purchase your rock tile/mesh