Little Doggy Stairs

$15

My sweet Scottie Gus is just a little too short to jump up onto my bed. Although I would love to get a mini workout in by lifting him up every time, I decided to make him his own mini steps.
I took a quick trip to Michael's and picked up two crates. 1 regular size, and 1 half size. You can get 2 half crates if you have a dog smaller than Gus who may need more steps.
I painted both crates with off-white chalk paint to match the rest of my decor, but here is where you can get creative! Paint your pets name, a stripe design or go all out with a collage of doggy pictures. (Man, I wish I would have done that)
After your paint has fully dried, apply E6000 to the bottom of the half crate and position it on top of the large crate. Let this dry overnight and voila you have mini stairs!
Action shot!
Now little Gussy can get up on the bed, in the car and onto the couch all by himself. Guess I need to get a real gym membership now...
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Ann

Why do you use chalk paint when you don't plan on writing in it?

• Laura Rudgers

That would be blackboard paint that you would use for writing on. Chalk Paint is a trademark name, like Kleenex, but now used generically for a certain type of finishing paint (like Kleenex is now used in place of "tissue") [Chalk Paint] is a water soluble paint (meaning a major component of Chalk Paint™) is water. So, when you think of a product being GREEN…think Chalk Paint™ Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan! Chalk Paint™ by Annie Sloan is also highly pigmented material that is made with little or no black

• Lisa J.

The blackboard paint she is speaking of is actually called "chalkboard paint." I think that is where the confusion lies because "chalk" is part of both names.

• Ann

Thanks so much!

• Lan9843207

You can also make your own chalk paint which is much less expensive. Just google, make your own chalk paint. I use plaster of paris to make mine

• Ann

Thanks! Who knew?

• Sweetb

This type of chalk paint also makes your paint go a lot further! As well, it can paint on nearly anything without primer! You should however protect it with wax or spray on (I prefer flat) protection, etc.

• Ann

Thanks!

• Mary Skinner

I know this sounds a little weird but I noticed your bedspread (quilt) and realized it is one I have been looking for. I have the throw but onlysettled for that because I couldn't find the spread. Any ideas where I could purchase a spread like that?

• Lan9843207

I have also been looking for this quilt. Would you mind sharing where you found it?

• Helen

You mentioned getting two half crates for smaller dogs, do you still need the one large one? Not sure how to create more step so that the stairs are taller? Please help! This is the "prettiest" stairs for dogs that I have seen. Thank you. Helen hbolen2012@gmail.com

• Brenda Cox

From looking at this, it looks like you could put a half crate in the front then the whole crate, and finally the half crate. This would create 3 steps. You could also put the half crate to the side if you needed more room.

• Helen

Thank you Brenda

• Stu

I have a three legged cocker named Tripod, he had no problem getting onto the bed just jumping down worried me . I found the large crate at WalMart but the small crate at Michael's was longer and hangs over the sides a bit. I put carpet on it and showed Tri how to climb up and down one time and now he uses it just natural ! Thanks!

• Jean

I got the large crate painted and put carpet on it.it works very good.
    • Susan Torbush

I wish I had seen this before my 20 year old Cat passed away - I kept thinking I needed to build from scratch! Repurposing is my MO- Buying expensive unnecessary many are free at wineries and farmers markets.

Also free mini pallets behind hardware stores.

Even milk crates modified cut down glu/screw together and weight with scrap wood cover with rug and or batting/fleece Walmart animal pattern throw custom fit with quick stitching.

Thanks so much for the diy idea - we still have other pets needing a boost up 😻

• Sharon McFarland

Attach the second half size to the front of the large one to make 3 steps.

• Kaitlin

I'm confused how to do the 3 steps? Can someone put details on that for me!

• Theresa Langdon

How high does this make it?

• EdwinDunham

I also want to make it for my pet dog. Thank you so much. I will introduce my friends.

Small Pet Helpful

• Amma Piep

I made this for our 13 year old rat terrier, Maggie. I covered the steps with carpet scraps and she loves it❣️She uses it all the time.