DIY Tray to Boot!

With the winter looming over NYC I needed to whip my entryway into shape. While shopping online and googling "Boot Tray" I wondered, like I often do, if I could just make one on the cheap. To make matters more challenging, most of my tools were on site at a client project so I really had to think creatively. I have a huge pile of scrap wood in my postage stamp NYC backyard for projects just like this! I
diy tray to boot , home decor, painted furniture, pallet, storage ideas, tools
MATERIALS:
-Scrap wood - preferably all the same thickness.
-4 small casters
-2 small handles
-4 -1" corner braces
-4 -2.5" corner braces
-1.5" construction screws
-Saw
-Drill with bits
-recip saw
STEP 1:
To start I dismantled a pallet of wood - careful to keep the length of the planks of wood in tact. A combination of a recip saw and hammer, the planks were apart in no time.
STEP 2:
Decide the dimension you would like your boot tray to be. I decided to go with 30" x 13". At this size I could easily fit three large shoes in this tray. I used a table saw to make the planks the necessary sizes.
STEP 3:
Next I took my scrap wood, cut it into three pieces, and placed them evenly apart on the back of my four pieces of pallet wood.
STEP 4:
Using 1.5" construction screws I secured my make-shift braces into place.
STEP 5:
I found 2 pieces of 1"x1" scrap wood - the perfect size for my boot tray sides. I measured them and cut to length.
STEP 6:
Now that all my pieces of wood were cut it was time to assemble everything. My miter saw wasn't at home, so these corner braces would not only make my boot tray sturdy but also add industrial charm.
STEP 7:
I started by placing my 1" corner braces along the four sides of my tray. Some of the pallet wood was particularly tough, so I drilled pilot holes to get me going.
STEP 8:
The 2" corner braces were then added to keep my tray structurally sound. Again, I drilled pilot holes to get my screws going.
STEP 9:
I decided to add handles to two sides of my tray. I placed one on either side of the tray, drilling pilot holes to start and then securing with the provided screws.
STEP 10:
Last, but not least, I added casters to the bottom of the tray. This step was also super easy and familiar: drill pilot holes and then secure with the provided screws.
And there it is! This project took me about an hour, was incredibly affordable, and added rustic charm to my entry. I was limited on resources, but I'm sure a lot of you can think up ways to make this fancier! This might even be good for storage under the bed - how convenient for you to just reach for the handle and wheel out the tray!
Sensible and functional!

• Casters  (Home Depot)
  • Handles  (Home Depot)
  • Corner Braces  (Home Depot)

• Ellen Standret

why did you put wheels on the tray?

• Thank you for showing this! I love the idea, but I think I'm going to make it a little taller and put a piece of wood on top so that I have a place to sit when I put my shoes on & take them off. As for having wheels on the bottom, I love that idea because it makes it easier to move out the way to be able to clean. Do you know about how tall I should make the sides and does it make a difference in the thickness for the top?

• Erin

Great project. What color is your door?