Anyone have any experience with applying faux stainless steel?

JaniceMichelleCornelia Schott
+8

I'm looking into adding a "sheet" of faux stainless steel somehow to my dishwasher. Anyone have any experience with the sprays, films, sheets, stickers of faux metal etc...?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks

I have seen some dishwashers where the front panel is reversible...white or black. It would seem that one of these could be converted to SS just as easily.

• Tamera J. Beth
    Tamera J. Beth

If your dishwasher panel is one sided you could use a metallic spray paint or there is a stainless steel faux contact paper. I have used on other projects. Good Luck and enjoy your project.

• Irene Piecora
    Irene Piecora

You can definitely find ways to do it yourself or you can see if there is a front panel insert replacement available in the faux stainless steel and if priced appropriately it might be the easiest solution.

• Tegma
    Tegma

I would not recommend metallic paint as it won't have the same look as your other stainless appliances, assuming you have those. As for the films, altho' I haven't used them yet, I have seen them used and they seem to be really good. I have a stainless stove and fridge, and a black DW, to which I am going to use the Stainless Film. There seems to be some good buys on it on eBay if you don't want to pay the high prices most are going for. HGTV uses the film quite a bit, so I think it must be good. I've seen it demoed on Rachel Ray and other shows, and I think that's your best bet! There are also stainless steel self-sticking tiles in 12" x 12" squares at Lowes, and I used those on a stove hood and everyone loves it. That's another possibility for the DW.

• Creatively Living
    Creatively Living

Thanks @KMS Woodworks ! I'll have to check into that.

• Pat
    Pat

Hi, save yourself some money and buy faux stainless steel auto vinyl wrap. Much cheaper and goes on like a dream. You can also buy wider rolls (i did my white refridgerator in black gloss auto vinyl wrap, hit it with a hair dryer, and you would never know I didn't buy a new black one. They have everybsheen and color imaginable, including faux wood. Check amazon and online auto vinyl suppliers. I have a picture posted on another page, I also did my formica counters. The auto vinyl isn't food safe ink, but for an appliance it doesn't need to be. I would not do a stove, however a dishwasher is easy, fast and cheap this way!

• Kat
    Kat

also there is a ss paint for appliances that may be even easier than applying a faux single piece In general you have to be very patient with the application of decal type processes= air bubbles and stretching being the worst challenges.

• Pat
    Pat

Here is a great video using 3m. I did not need primer, and I spray painted my handles (though I may give the wrap method a try). I also used my hair dryer, much safer and it worked great. Good luck! http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=vinyl%20stainless%20steel%20look&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLh1NA3hGZEo&ei=2RvDU7uOFNK3yASsoYLwCg&usg=AFQjCNF5btWfveRNjjxI5SEoqyxsFYWHuw&bvm=bv.70810081,d.aWw

• Cornelia Schott
    Cornelia Schott

I plan on using this product for my trash compactor. I just had a cabinet priced to replace the compactor, but it isn't worth it. https://ezfauxdecor.com/shop/nickel-stainless-steel-film/nickel-stainless-steel-film/

• Michelle
    Michelle

I used contact paper on my dishwasher.

• Janice
    Janice

J haven't used this but a friend has and her dishwasher looks great.