Organizing: Keeping Your Cookie Sheets and Muffin Pans Neat

5.84M Views
Tired of no place or how to store your cookie sheets, cooling racks and muffin pans?
Cost: $8.00Difficulty: Easy
Lay everything out on your floor.
Purchase or if you have a large deep plastic container will be perfect for this.
Place plate rack inside of large plastic container in closet or pantry.
  • organizing keeping your cookie sheets and muffin pans neat, organizing
Stack with largest furthest from you to smallest in front.. So easy to access and everything stays upright and tidy.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Large plastic container, plate separater  (Walmart)
M. J.

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question
    • it keeps the objects off the floor and dust free
    • ..and keeps other objects in the cabinet from 'bumping' into the trays and such, keeping them upright and aligned...
      DebDeb Landenberg, PA · answered Nov 13, 2016
    • I have several deep cabinets and limited drawers. Plastic bins to fit the cabinets serve as drawers that can be pulled out and items stored. It has made such a difference in my cabinets
    • Saves my back from bending over and digging thru everything. We also have very narrow cabinets (had to be the idea of a man) and these types of pans stand up like this in these teenie tiny cabinets.
    • Easy to remove and clean the floor Then pop Back , great idea well done 😊
    • I use plastic bins for most things in my bottom cupboards. When you want something you just pull out the bin....it's just like the pullout drawers you can put into those bottom cabinets....much cheaper and does the same job. I also use the dividing stands which I found at the dollar store
    • I also use the larger storage containers to separate sizes of lids and containers, since I don't use the larger containers as often. I have deep cupboards and things get lost otherwise.
    • I use plastic dishpans to organize, they don't take up as much space as the bigger bins and I can keep similar items together, one for pans with their own lids, one for plastic food storage w/their lids, mixing bowl w/measuring spoons and cups and similar items. That way I only have to pull out one pan and everything for that project is together. Jeanne M San Juan Capistrano, CA
      RageanRagean San Juan Capistrano, CA · answered Jan 01, 2017
    • If you can find a plastic container big enough to put a lid on, you could always decorate it and put it on top of the refrigerator.
    • Keeps the dog or cat from sleeping on them.
    • If you are using large plastic bins like the one used here, add inexpensive rollers to the bottom. I did on mine and only needs a light touch to move anywhere.
    • Rollers - good idea for lots of things!
      AnnAnn Frisco, TX · answered Nov 12, 2017

• Good question!!!
      CherylCheryl Hammond, LA · answered Jan 02, 2017
    • walmart :)
      CindyCindy Kingston, WA · answered Jan 11, 2017
    • I could not fit that container in my cuboard
    • Tell me tell me!
    • i wish I had a pantry!!!
    • If I had a pantry, putting my pans away wouldn't be an issue.
    • My pantry is quite small
    • I couldn't afford the big wooden pantries I needed two . So we went to IKEA and bought two pine wardrobes put in shelves and painted them
    • I had the container like a plastic file box and just put all my lids in it without rack
    • With my 85 yr old Dad, I took an old TV armoire, removed the inside framework, and created a pantry. It was originally black lacquer with cherry doors. Dad also built the legs. Old armoire are really cheap at resale and thrift stores.
      LinLin Park Ridge, IL · answered Apr 22, 2017
    • She also states " in a closet". Can be ANY closet because you don't need them everyday.
      MD_CCMD_CC Frederick, MD · answered Apr 22, 2017

• Dollar Tree
    • Bed bath and beyond
    • Bed bath and beyond
    • GOODWILL STORE!
    • Says in article Walmart
    • Lakeland Plastics would be a good place to look
    • the Container Store

• Says at the top $8
    • look in the clearance section at the container store! Often will find bins without lids for cheaper!
    • That's right . I hit clearance centers all the time.👍
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 24, 2017
    • Oops! Dollar tree
    • Oops! Dollar tree

• look in the clearance section at the container store! Often will find bins without lids for cheap!
    • You can use a cardboard box that they throw out at the supermarket or hardware store. Then you can cut it to fit your cupboard. You can use egg cartons as tray supports. Totally free 😀
    • I do this, however, I just put it inside one of my cabinets. Don't have to have a tub or box

• Measure your cabinet and purchase size necessary
    • Really you don't need the container just the rack.
    • You also need to consider the dimensions of the bakeware you want to store. A bin that is 11" wide won't work for large cookie sheets that are 12-14" long unless you have room to stand them on end.
      LindaLinda Westminster, MD · answered Apr 25, 2017
    • No thanks. Ours all fit in the bottom oven drawer nestled inside each other.
    • Your fortunate.👍
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 02, 2017
    • Mine are also in the bottom oven drawer
    • If in the bottom oven drawer, then where do you put the broiler pan?
    • I have therack without the bin on a lower cabinet shelf. The bin wouldn't fit.
    • The bottom oven door is actually a warming drawer not storage
    • Good idea! I have the perfect spot. Thanks
    • I love the convenience of the container and rack inside to keep it neat.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 21, 2017
    • We did this with a pretty wicker basket and no plate rack. It's a great storage idea
    • I have a Cabinet above my top oven that is about 24" tall and 18" wide with about 5 or 6 build in vertical dividers from top to bottom so that's where I keep my cookie sheets, pizza pans and warranty papers on the appliances.

• I'm going to put it on the bottom of my pantry going to use a smaller one for my grocery bags
    • in the pantry as Donna says . I use a smaller one to hold all my sauce packets
    • Under sink area. All cleaning items are in pantry where children can 't get them. I use the plate holder for lids for pots and pans too.
    • I also use a smaller size, but I keep all the lids that come from all those plastic bowls in it. It's SO much easier than searching the kitchen for the right size lid.
    • I too use a smaller size for plastic containers.
    • I use this same idea, without the tub, in the bottom of my pantry as well.
      Cam443Cam443 Germantown, MD · answered May 22, 2017

• easier to keep clean and off floor.
    • I have a small walk-in pantry with small shelves. I do put the item that are on the floor of the pantry in totes to keep then cleaner. the rest are on the shelves in just the wire racks.

• I have a a long runner rug on the floor of my pantry. I feel good about placing things in the floor of my pantry.
    • Great for those with limited cabinet space. Tub keeps it all clean.
    • Makes it easier to get them out the cabinet. You can just pull it out a little and get your pan. If you just used the rack then you'd have to reach to the back to get the ones on the back. Which gets a little harder the older you get.
    • I use a dish drainer for pan lids.
    • They don't stay even and get messy
    • My cabinet is poorly accessible, so items like these are on bottom shelf lying flat or in stove drawer. ; like this idea, if only I had a pantry!
      AbaAba Charlottesville, VA · answered May 22, 2017
    • My cupboards are not tall or deep enough to put baking pans in so this is the most perfect way. Just to be able to slide the tub in and out is worth the price of admission. Also I don't like using all my cupboard space for baking pans.
    • I have just used a cardboard box for years...I use one for all my plastic lids also! Works great!
    • We bought a 1/4 rack on Amazon that went into a corner of our shelf and holds 4 frying pans and lids.
    • If I can find a tub that fits inside my oven, I will try this. Small kitchen, not much storage space. Lids in a neat tub instead of being loose would make it easy to take out when I need to actually use the oven which I rarely do. I have a large toaster convection oven on counter so rarely use large oven.
    • Ladies, an oven drawer is NOT to be used for storage. Fire hazard. It's used as a warning drawer only according to manufacturer.
    • My stove has a drawer at the bottom that is NOT a warming drawer, but a STORAGE drawer.
      CherylCheryl Horseheads, NY · answered May 22, 2017
    • Rdsanchez966
      I've been using my oven drawer for storage for 40 years---cookie sheets and baking pans are not goino to catch on fire. I wouldn't use it for anything flammable.

• My Mom used the oven for storage and I can still remember what melted Tupperware smells like.
    • I've been storing my broiling pans in the oven drawer for years. They're fine.
      DonnaDonna Beulaville, NC · answered May 22, 2017
    • Have used oven drawer for sheet pans & lids forever. Definitely don't store plastic!
      SusanSusan Des Moines, IA · answered May 22, 2017
    • You could just turn it the other way so the pans are easy to slide out. I use these racks for platters and cutting boards too! Love them!
    • I currently have one of these sorter things in a cabinet over my refrigerator. I can see how this could make these baking items more easily accessible. I usually have to get a stool to see what I am looking for.

• A great majority of oven drawers are used for storage and have been for many, many years. If you really believe you're going set your baking pans on fire by storing them in there I have some stock in this bridge.....
      DanielleDanielle Statesville, NC · answered May 23, 2017
    • The bottom drawers of some ovens are warming drawers. Others, like mine, are storage drawers. I store my baking dishes in it.
      Smb228Smb228 Yakima, WA · answered May 24, 2017
    • Someone just mentioned storing the rack on top of refrigerator. That too is a great idea if you have lack of space.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 27, 2017

• 👍
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 25, 2017
    • 👍
    • This is a great idea if you have room. My perfect solution is standing then up vertically under my sink. Works like a dream... Ty for sharing...
    • I have found them in many sizes. I have one that was made to hold vinyl records up inside and 7 " cabinet. It makes it so much easier than dragging all the pans out. I use it for cookie sheets and pizza pans. Thin stuff.
    • And these bins can always be stored in basements since many of the items are not used every day. (Besides, the exercise is good for us older gals. 😉)

• It doesn't look like something you put out in your kitchen or in your kitchen cabinets. You could keep it in your basement or closet/pantry....or its just not a solution for you...
    • This is an awesome idea! But does seem ideal, in a pantry. However, those bins could be easily cut, a bit shorter, to fit in a bottom cupboard... and they would slide, in & out nicely:) You could finish the jagged, cut top, with a peice of aquarium tubeing, cut down the center, & poped over the edge. I've done it, it works:)

AnnaAnna Costa Mesa, CA · answered May 22, 2017
    • 👍
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 23, 2017
    • I like the idea and appreciate that you shared it with us. I am so tired of seeing snarky comments by people who evidently enjoy making fun of others' ideas.
      TameraTamera Massillon, OH · answered May 23, 2017
    • If you find the bin makes it too bulky or you don't have room, try using the rack she used on its own. Arrange it so the slots open toward you and you can slide the trays and tins in and out, negating the need for you to reach to the back. Sometimes one good idea sparks another.
    • Thank you for being so kind.😘M.j.
    • Jeani MIller Miner- A V-8 moment. Why didn't I think of that?!
    • didn't read anything snarky
      BarbBarb Buffalo, NY · answered May 25, 2017
    • I use an old magazine rack for storage of cookie sheets & muffin tins but the key is to have a place to store it.
    • I use the same concept in a small cupboard. U could easily put small cookie sheets or lids from pits in each separation.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jun 09, 2017
    • Such a great idea M.J.! I wish I had more room to do this! My whole kitchen is the size of what some might call a pantry! LOL 😣😂
      LibbyLibby East Prairie, MO · answered Jun 13, 2017

• my bottom cabinets have pots in them.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered May 29, 2017
    • Plus I have enough for two containers... those lower narrow cabinets aren't big enough. I use one for this and still could use two containers. And YES I realize I probably have to much. But I really use it
      BarbaraBarbara Rochester, NY · answered May 30, 2017
    • I dont know what kind of cabinets you people have, but it would take a huge one to fit those big cookie sheets in standing up. I dont have anything that big.
    • Then u have to. Find a place for bin..
    • I use the bin part, but if I stood them up they would be too tall for the lid. You would get much more in without the plate divider, IMO.

• What does this mean? Build one? Use one? Not everyone has a "kitchen closet" (do you mean pantry?) in their home.
      Tammy SeaTammy Sea Hazel Green, AL · answered Jun 13, 2017
    • I meant do you have a kitchen closet that you could use for storage? Pantry would be fine too but it seemed as though you didn't have a pantry. If you have a closet with floor space I was suggesting you might be able to put the cookie sheets, trays on the floor using a similar plate rack. M.j
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jun 13, 2017
    • I did this using a sturdier plastic container turning it lengthwise and cutting and opening in 1 end. I placed it on the floor of my pantry and can reach most of the items; the ones I can't reach the tray slides out easily. Very organized and leaves more room for other kitchen necessities on shorter shelves.
    • I have gluten free tins and regular tins so there is a lot of reason to have multiples. I have a half shelf I need my cabinet so it may be tricky finding the right container. Thanks for the idea tho!
    • 👍
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jun 18, 2017

• This may not work for everyone. There is no one master solution. It's a cool idea. If it works for you, great! If not, keep looking for something that will. No need for being rude about how many muffin tins someone has. These are just used as examples.
    • I think it is great align them all to the right so they touch the right wall creating more space on the left for your pie pans!
    • I do this to organize my pan lids in a lower cabinet. That little half shelf in lower cabinets works perfect for this.
    • When some of us bake for large families, kids and grandkids, we need lots of pans. Besides, it really doesn't take that much more space. The pans can even stack inside one another. The more the merrier!
    • They're different sizes - one is square for like brownies, one is for regular size muffins and last one is for minis.

• I understand. I just like a free oven. My mom stored hers in it and it was a pain when she baked. Finding a place to put them. My daughter has a large kitchen and stores her in the oven. Still a pain. I've had several kitchens ( moved a lot). Still never stored them in oven. Just me.
    • too true.
    • Store my pots and pans in the cabinets with the most used ones in front.
    • Now you have a small kitchen and you have to find a place for storage bin.

• How big is the large plactic container ?
    • Too big for cabinet, that's why it's on the floor
    • I would measure the inside of your cabinet you plan to put it in and get the biggest one you can fit for inside.
    • This looks to be about an 18 gal storage bin....i have tons of them lol! Never thought of this though!

• Looks like a 58 quart tote... 🤔
      MyrnaMyrna Kalispell, MT · answered Aug 01, 2017

• Quite honestly. I didn't think a small kitchen could use that size container. I was looking at the broad picture.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jul 03, 2017
    • I use an old magazine holder.
    • I don't have a pantry like that or any space to store this
    • maybe under the sink?
    • I have no room to place a bin. No closet or pantry. Have always wishes I did. Good idea though.

• To keep them contained and off the floor. They would likely slide to either side.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jul 11, 2017
    • dont c use for separator
    • The reason for the container is, these are stored on the floor of her pantry. By putting in tub, easier to move for mopping the floor and getting to other items stored on floor. The plate separator is so each has a home and not just tossed in the tub. Organization at it best. This may not work for all people, but just a suggestion. It will not work for me, since I have a cabinet just for baking sheets, but a good idea for various cutting boards, pot lids, etc.

• By them being in the container you could pull them out easier, I will do this. Thanks for the idea!
    • I use the same plate separator and have it on a shelf in the cupboard next to the stove works great
    • I love it the whole idea!
    • Besides that there is nothing for varmints to climb on. You can have a spotless house and varmints still get in from outside.
    • Good idea
    • Great idea all around. Thanks
    • I goinh to do this..thanks
    • I love this idea!
      RuthRuth Cibolo, TX · answered Oct 24, 2017
    • this has always been a problem for me. Thanks. For this easy answer. Going to buy bin today.
      GailGail Mooresville, NC · answered Oct 24, 2017
    • It looks like you would have an edge to put something else up to on the outside of the bin

• Walmart
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Sep 19, 2017
    • The question was apparently supposed to be: "Where do you PUT the bin after you fill it? And it's a good question! I don't know anyone who has room for an extra bin full of stuff in their kitchen.
      Betty LBetty L Manchester, ME · answered Sep 21, 2017
    • I think that is exactly the point. If one takes a bunch of loose stuff which over time gets tossed around in a cupboard and puts it into a bin, there is therefore room to put the bin and one no longer is head first trying to see and feel around a dark cupboard trying to find a muffin tin and cursing when you hit your head backing out.
    • Put it in a closet or under the kitchen counter where you would normally put pans.
    • One thing that can be done is: (while your in Walmart also pick up hard plastic shelves, those with 4 Or 5 sections) you can put those shelves in your garage and stack those containers in shelf! Of course label your containers and they will be easier to find. You can do this with Christmas stuff, Halloween stuff, etc. This only takes space against wall so you’ll still have your garage for your cars. This is Easy and it really gives you more space.

*You can get more creative and build your own shelves. It will turn out to be cheaper!
      MimiMimi Tallahassee, FL · answered Oct 24, 2017
      • I live in a tiny apt. My kitchen is smaller than my bathroom so I would have to put it on the floor but even so I think that would be better than storing cooie sheets wherever I can stand one or two. Thank you.

• I found it at walmarly but you can probably find it almost all discount stores.
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Oct 24, 2017
    • I found mine at the thrift store, even the rack at 1.00 each. Great deal. Went a few time then found both,🤗
    • Dollar Tree

• Walmart
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Oct 25, 2017
    • Or any such store.
    • Dollar Tree has

• Approximately 22 L x 10 D x 15 w
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Nov 12, 2017

• I have room on my pantry floor. A closet would work.😊
      M. J.M. J. Valencia, PA · answered Jan 07, 2018
    • I just put the devider under my sink without the tote, i pout in sideways and it makes it easy to slide pans in and out.
    • I already do that without the bin. Bonu! Cost saving!
    • You are right. Th works great. I also do it without using the bin. I have a second one I use for my cutting boards.
      PamPam Prospect, KY · answered Jan 28, 2018