Button Dish

$7

If you're looking for a fun project to do with your littles, or just for yourself, this is one to add to your list. It's a little time consuming because of drying time, but it's super inexpensive (possibly FREE for some who may have all the supplies on hand), really easy to make, and the result is so cute!
button dish, crafts, repurposing upcycling
SUPPLIES: -buttons (I used 100) -Elmer's glue -Mod Podge -balloon -paint brush -scissors (optional) Not pictured: -roll of painter's tape -straight pin
STEP 1: Blow up balloon To start, I blew up a balloon. This proved to be more difficult for me than I had anticipated as I can't remember the last time I blew a balloon--it was pretty comical to witness. Anyway, I blew up a balloon to where it was about medium size--still had some squish to it.

STEP 2: Set up balloon and apply Elmer's glue Next, I grabbed a roll of painter's tape I had on hand to use as a stand for my balloon...
...I tried sitting the balloon as straight up as I could on the roll of tape which ended up being pretty good for a stand.
Once my balloon was set up, I applied a layer of Elmer's glue...
I used a paint brush to spread the glue around and then let it sit for about two hours to fully dry. The Elmer's glue created a coating on the balloon so that the buttons wouldn't slide off while I applying Mod Podge.
STEP 4: Apply Mod Podge & add buttons Next, I used my [clean] paint brush to apply Mod Podge and started adding my buttons. I chose a slightly larger button to put in the middle of what would be the bottom of my dish in order to help it sit nicely when in use.
I didn't use much of a pattern except to try and make sure every button touched another. I tried to keep the buttons evenly distributed around the big button in the middle and continued adding buttons until they were all applied to the balloon.
After all of my buttons were adhered to the balloon, I applied 2 more coats of Mod Podge--letting each coat dry fully before applying another.
STEP 5: Pop balloon Once the Mod Podge was all dry, I flipped my balloon over so that the dish/bowl was sitting right-side-up on the roll of tape; then, using a straight pin, I popped the balloon.
After I popped the balloon, I carefully pulled it out of the dish--it pretty much peeled off on it's own but I had a few spots that I had to pull a little. I was prepared to use scissors to cut off the excess glue on the edges of the dish but I was able to just gently pull it off. I contemplated making this dish with the designs of the buttons being on the outside but I'm glad I went with this way because of how shallow the dish ended up being--you wouldn't have been able to see the pretty designs had I flipped the buttons the other way. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way this cute little dish turned out--it's perfect for holding my wedding bands and other little things on my nightstand when they're not being worn/used. *The time it took to create this dish was approximately 4-5 hours but that time includes drying time. This is really an easy project!
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Merv

How ia it that you uses all beige buttons and ended up w a bowl full of colorful buttons?

• Shelley Titterington

Help, please, my balloon is sticking to the buttons in some places. Having a bear of a time, anyone have any ideas? I skipped the elmer glue step. That was a big mistake!! Otherwise, quite happy with how it looks on the outside.

• Judy

I know this is a few months after your post. If you try it again and it sticks, maybe try using a hair dryer to warm it up, just enough to get it unstuck.

• Elaine Wester

Can you use a hair dryer to speed up the process? Trying to see if we can do for a craft at work event. Only have a couple of hours to get to last step. Can let sit and final dry 24 hrs but want to make sure can get to that point in this time frame.