The Fence (recycling Old Doors and Windows)

I would like to share the fence I made out of old doors and windows. I was unable to find a fence that I really loved plus I didn’t want it to cost me an arm & a leg. I’m not a spring chicken, so I need all my arms and legs!
The fence is located at the rear/side of my house. It seemed to take me forever but knowing I only had to do 6 (8 ft) sections, I knew I could totally finish this project. It wasn’t a project that I could put away in a closet and get it out later. Plus, being out for people to see, I realized that it had to be finished in a timely fashion.
It was like putting a puzzle together. Very little modification had to be done but there was some. I was extremely lucky at finding old doors. The first door was an original door in my house (sitting in the garage,when we moved in). My neighbor gave me a couple closet doors that he replaced in his house. Garage sales, dumpster diving, the side of the curb and a couple doors were knocked on when I saw a house being updated.
Once I had it totally built I realized it needed jazzed up. The first door had to be purple (K-State, of course). But why did I pick the other colors? Not one ended up the original shade. So that means, the other side may not match! When it needs a little tlc, I’ll have to start from scratch and make up another shade.
Enjoy! Gail
1st section.
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
Gate for my small 4 legged friends!

• Robin giberson

I just saw your fence and now I have some of the same questions that you received before. Did you put the doors on some kind of a base? Also how did you connect the doors? I have collected some doors and cannot wait to get my fence done. I plan to make a living window out of succulents in a few of the windows that my doors have. If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know. Cannot wait to hear back from you on this.
  • I'm sure i some how missed it, can you please explain how you connected the doors and do you think this can be done as a divider for a large room?

• Cori Parker-Jackson

I personally think Thais would be a great idea for a room divider! If you ever do that, I'd love to see how it turned out!

• Cartwrightd

We get a lot of snow. How could I protect the doors from rotting warping etc as a result of the weather ?