Gail Aldridge
Gail Aldridge
  • Lees Summit, MO

The Fence (recycling Old Doors and Windows)

I would like to share the fence I made out of old doors and windows. I was unable to find a fence that I really loved plus I didn’t want it to cost me an arm & a leg. I’m not a spring chicken, so I need all my arms and legs!
The fence is located at the rear/side of my house. It seemed to take me forever but knowing I only had to do 6 (8 ft) sections, I knew I could totally finish this project. It wasn’t a project that I could put away in a closet and get it out later. Plus, being out for people to see, I realized that it had to be finished in a timely fashion.
It was like putting a puzzle together. Very little modification had to be done but there was some. I was extremely lucky at finding old doors. The first door was an original door in my house (sitting in the garage,when we moved in). My neighbor gave me a couple closet doors that he replaced in his house. Garage sales, dumpster diving, the side of the curb and a couple doors were knocked on when I saw a house being updated.
Once I had it totally built I realized it needed jazzed up. The first door had to be purple (K-State, of course). But why did I pick the other colors? Not one ended up the original shade. So that means, the other side may not match! When it needs a little tlc, I’ll have to start from scratch and make up another shade.
Enjoy! Gail
1st section.
1st section.
2nd
2nd
3rd
3rd
4th
4th
5th
5th
6th
6th
Gate for my small 4 legged friends!
Gate for my small 4 legged friends!

• Robin giberson

I just saw your fence and now I have some of the same questions that you received before. Did you put the doors on some kind of a base? Also how did you connect the doors? I have collected some doors and cannot wait to get my fence done. I plan to make a living window out of succulents in a few of the windows that my doors have. If you have any tips or suggestions, please let me know. Cannot wait to hear back from you on this.
  • I'm sure i some how missed it, can you please explain how you connected the doors and do you think this can be done as a divider for a large room?

• Cori Parker-Jackson

I personally think Thais would be a great idea for a room divider! If you ever do that, I'd love to see how it turned out!

• Kathie

This is very cool! I love it, but it's just for privacy, I can't imagine it could keep a large dog inside.

• Nancy Eradat

I have to give you credit for being innovative!