How to Clean Grout and Install New Grout That Won't Stain

Grout is a major pain, especially when it's old and grimy. Today you'll learn how to clean grout and make it look new again. Plus we share which grouts to use if you decide to re-grout your bathroom floor or if you just installed new tile. The tips you'll learn will be priceless.
OxiClean is a great grout cleaning product. And yes, I get that this sounds like a cheesy commercial but this seriously works. Spray OxiClean Max Force onto a test area to make sure it won't ruin your grout or tile. If it doesn't, you can move forward and spray it on your grout.
Use a grout cleaning brush like this one to work the OxiClean into the grout. Let the OxiClean sit for 15-20 minutes on the grout. Then wipe it off with a clean sponge.
What if your grout is terrible? What's the the best way to remove it? Use an oscillating multi tool like this one and a grout removal accessory.
If you need to re-grout your bathtub or bathroom floor tile we recommend a few different grouts. This one is Mapei's Ultracolor Plus FA. It's a great option for both shower tile and bathroom floor tile. The smooth consistency and rapid setting allows for a quick installation.
Another grout we recommend is Mapei's Flexcolor CQ. It's pre-mixed, has color consistency, stain resistant, and super easy to use. Flexcolor CQ is rapid setting as well and allows you to install grout without any guesswork.
When you open a tub of Flexcolor CQ it's ready to be used.
Apply Flexcolor CQ to the joints at a 45 degree angle and remove any excess by moving a rubber grout float at a 90 degree angle to the tile.
Sponge off excess Flexcolor CQ with a sponge and water. Our video shares all the details.

30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty

• Lisa Putty Hess
    Lisa Putty Hess

Can you grout over existing grout with this stuff?? My tile around my garden tub needs to be redone . we don't really want to totally tear it all out and restart.

• Lyn
      Lyn

Garbage in, garbage out. If you do not tear it all out it will look terrible with the old and new and you will most likely have the same problem! Hope this helps!!

• Michael
    Michael

I have been trying to get the grim off my grout for a while with little success and it was starting to get really annoying. I am going to try out your Oxi Clean and I really hope it works out well for me. I was also wondering if Oxi Clean could have any long term effects on the grout?

Thanks for the advice

• Susana Duarte de Suarez
    Susana Duarte de Suarez

If you have areas where the grout has worn off (looking like holes) do you patch or replace the grout in the whole bathroom?

• Terrance
    Terrance

Wonderful project. I am planning for giving it a try. I will use Tuff Duck for the job. According to Shower Journal it is the best grout sealer for shower in the market. What do you think. Will it be a good option.

• Jimmarrs
    Jimmarrs

To bring even more cleaning power to the party, cover grout lines with a paste of baking soda and water, then spray on the vinegar solution listed above. Once the mixture stops foaming, scrub with a brush and rinse with plain water.