DIY Faux Window Shutters From A Repurposed Door

Don’t you just love vintage window shutters? Especially the raised panel ones! They are so popular for using as home decor these days! Unfortunately, I don’t see these much in my neck of the woods.
diy faux window shutters from a repurposed door, curb appeal, doors
What I don’t love is their price tag! I’m not saying that authentic vintage shutters aren’t worth the prices they go for these days. But if I can make a reasonable facsilile and save a few bucks in the process? As a DIY blogger that’s the way I’m going to go!
Here’s the door I repurposed. My hubs bought it when he was building our house, and long story short, he ended up not needing it.
My hubs was more than happy to help me cut up the door because it would no longer be in his way in the shop. I had him cut the door in half vertically to drop the bottom two panels, then horizontally to split the remaining four panels into “shutters.” He also cut the outside edges to make the edges an even length from the panels on all sides.
I really like the Valspar furniture paint! It goes on smoothly and covers well- I only had to do one coat. If the door was a dark color I might have had to do another coat, but it does really cover well. I then distressed the doors and applied the Valspar antiquing glaze. I worked in sections, painting on the glaze and then wiping off the excess with a damp cloth. The glaze like the paint went on very smoothly and was very easy to work with.
I put some mid-century hardware on the shutters to jazz them up a bit. I even got one of the hinges over what was left of the doorknob hole. Totally covers it up, right?
I think they turned out pretty good! The only thing is that they are heavy as all heck. If I were ever to do this again, I’d find a lighter door!
I made these with using them as home decor in mind, but of course they can be used for other things. I plan on putting them on top of a table leaning against a wall like in the picture above, and then hang wreaths and whatnot from them. They could also be hung on a wall as wall decor. If you want to use them for a more practical purpose, they could be used for cabinet or hutch doors, or even window shutters.
To see more on this project as well as my other DIY projects, recipes, and crafts, please click on the link below to visit my blog!
The Painted Hinge

• Bsh363068

How did you fix the hole in the door from where the door knob was? I want to try this but don't know what to do about that. Thanks

• The Painted Hinge

Hello! The door knob holes were cut away for the most part, but there was about 1/3 of one hole left on one of the panels. I "covered" that hole with one of the hinges. You can still see the hole a bit, but I think it gives it character. :) Hope that helps!

• Kathy Lillis

Trace the hole,cut out with a piece of scrape wood,cut the circle the size you need and glue in and finish your project

• Dorothy Sittler

I just recently purchased a door with a 72" length mirror and all the fixings on the door. I do not want to take the mirror off because a move is in the offing and the support would be great to achieve that. The door needs paint too. Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Rhonda

just fill it with some wood filler and then sand it.

• Mary

Whatare the edges of the door of? Did you have to put in pieces of wood inside the edges?

• Linny

I think this is a solid wood door, not a hollow-core door.

• Sheri Horbachewski

Wow nice idea and they turned out beautiful! So nice to see a project using "real" paint not chalk paint lol Can you tell I am over the whole "chalk paint for everything movement"

• Mary Coakley

Very lovely great work