How To Make A Wine Bottle Wind Chime

Wine bottles are beautiful and sturdy. Here are steps to transform your favorite wine bottle into a fun and functional wind chime for your home.
Wine Bottle Wind Chime by Groovy Green Glass

To buy this gorgeous chime click here

Collect your materials. You will need:
An empty glass wine bottle
A wet saw (a glass saw or a tile saw with a glass blade)
Polishing tools or sandpaper (various grits)
A drill
A 1.25 inch wooden ball
A 2 inch wooden heart
3 small screw eyes
Metal chain
2 key rings
A metal clip
Pliers (or any other tool to open up the chain links)
Cutting Your Wine Bottle
Using a glass saw or a tile saw with a glass blade, cut the bottom of your wine bottle. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Rotate your bottle so the blade evenly cuts all around the bottle. Keep your bottle wet, and take your time. This will reduce chips and lower your chances of cracking the bottle.
Remove Chips And Polish Your Edges
After cutting your bottle, you will want to remove any chips around the bottom. We have equipment to do this at Groovy Green. We polish the glass using various grits of diamond polishers. However, you can always use sandpaper in various grits to help make rough spots smoother. Just like smoothing wood, start with a coarse grit and move slowly to a finer grit.
The Wind Chime Assembly

To buy this gorgeous chime click here

After you have your bottle cut and smoothed, you will begin work on your wooden pieces. Drill a hole on both ends of your wooden ball. Drill a hole in your wooden heart.
Wash the debris from your bottle and remove the label.
Connect the wooden pieces together with screw eyes and metal chain. Then connect your wind catch (wooden pieces) to your key rings with metal chain that is the length of the bottle. Add some additional metal chain to the top of your key ring to allow the bottle to hang. Once all the pieces are connected, hang and enjoy.

• Wine Bottle

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful

• Marianne Perry
    Marianne Perry

What would I purchase if I wanted to make one with more chains across, instead of one straight down?
    • DRV
      DRV

I can't visualize what you are asking, so I don't know how to answer that.
  • Tlw6933834
    Tlw6933834

Love them!!! I have been making these....what is the thickness of the wooden heart? and how well (or long) does the eye screw stay in place?
    • DRV
      DRV

The hearts are 1/2 inch thick and to make sure the screw eye stays put, I put a little glue in the hole with the screw eye. :)
  • Su
    Su

What size and name is the metal chain links? I wish to add Gem stones and beads to mine, but the metal chain is too big and I can’t find anything local smaller at the moment

• DRV
      DRV

Hi Su! I use chain from my local hardware store. No specific brand... it's just off a bulk roll.

• Connie
    Connie

back in the day... we used a "bottle cutter" to cut bottles. Its basically a small glass cutting blade on a frame or contraption to hold the bottle and cutter at the proper angle. They also had wire ones that wrapped around the bottle. Look on internet. I'm sure bottle cutters are still available. Much easily to use and cheaper to purchase .

• Julie Deane
      Julie Deane

They still make them. I haven’t even tried mine yet. Just busted it out this morning. I gave the labels off bottles and I’m ready to go. You still have to do the hot water/cold water dip though

• Gle17465133
    Gle17465133

...you can't go wrong using wine bottles for different projects....I cut holes in the bottom the size of a nickel & run /stuff Christmas lights in them. They too make great gifts (for a retired lady on S.S.). Couldn't you make 5 of these & hang them together for a wind chime? Thanks for sharing...