Glass Etched Front Door Side Window

Our front door has three small windows on the side that see straight into our house, giving us no privacy at all from visitors. All too often I'm sitting at the kitchen table and a solicitor approaches the door and can see immediately that I'm sitting in my living room or at my kitchen table. Enough was enough, so I decided rather than block out crucial light to our space, I'd at least try to obstruct the view with this simple Glass Etched Front Door Side Window Tutorial.
The whole thing takes about 1-2 hours to do and is very affordable--much cheaper than a curtain or a new door.
You'll need a stencil, glass etching cream, a glass etching brush, and stencil adhesive. More details are on my blog about specifics.
Start by cleaning your windows well and then cutting your stencil(s) to the size(s) and width(s) you'll need for each window. I used two stencils for this project cut down to the appropriate size.
After the stencil was placed, I layered glass etching cream on thick and let sit for 15 minutes. Then I pulled the stencil off and used a credit card to wipe off the excess cream, placing it back in the bottom. Glass etching cream is reusable. Once the etching is done and excess cream is off, use a paper towel and windex to clean off the window. Then repeat the steps all the way up.
The end result allows light to still come in, but obscures the view for visitors enough to allow you some privacy!
The full instructions and tutorial can be found on my blog, link below.

Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Abbey D

• Jennie Lee

I have etching cream and some small stencil designs (letters), but I have not found stencil adhesive or stencils in sheets, to cover an area, anywhere I've looked. I've tried Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and Pat Catan's. Also, I don't see the link to the blog. Thanks.

• Katherine Carradin

Is the glass permanently damaged? Or does it come off when needed???

• Janerose

I remember using a ‘recipe’ using cornstarch...you can google it...it’s removeable...

• Kathleen Maune AuBuchon

I have on hand a can of window frost. Do you think this would work?
    • Rosa Torres

It does! I stenciled a Christmas design once on my window. Just be careful of moisture.

• San30553910

I am in a rental and I had two doors with all glass. Well since it a rental house, I had to be careful about what I put up to cover them. Well, I found this great film that they sell for windows. They Have different patterns. Some look like etched glass or leaded glass and quite a few more. I used the one that looks like leaded glass, and it looks just like real leaded glass. My friends didn't believe that it fake. It comes in different sizes. you have to squirt a lot of water on the glass door while applying it and squeegee it on. The directions are on the pkg. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot. or Amazon. you can google it to find out more. We are very happy with it. You can remove it and reuse it also. I hope this helps some of you
    • Lorra

It's self stick privacy paper . In Walmart it us with the paint, light bulbs. In Home Depot it is somewhere around the storage things.

• Terry

It's located in the blinds, curtain area in Lowes easy to install and looks great