Kathy Bass
Kathy Bass
  • Galveston, TX

Finally Started Making My Plate Flowers and Glass Towers.....what FUN!

All the many trips to yard sales and thrift stores are finally paying off! Thanks to all of you who gave such great tips for making flowers and towers...they sure helped me out a LOT!!! Can't wait to make more!
I am drilling, gluing and using screws all the way thru so they should stay together!
A really colorful & whimsical flower!
A really colorful & whimsical flower!
Added some glass beads for extra color.
Added some glass beads for extra color.
Love this one!
Love this one!
Pretty Pretty!!!
Pretty Pretty!!!
My 1st glass totem.I used GE Silicone,but found out it does NOT dry clear,so I switched to Plumbers GOOP and is clear,water proof and strong!Top piece looks off center,but it's a triangle cobalt bottle & looks straight from the front.
My 2nd totem.  This one is one rebar in the garden, but took it inside for another purpose....
My 2nd totem. This one is one rebar in the garden, but took it inside for another purpose....
Turn it upside down and use it inside as a dessert tray.
Close up of bottom.
Close up of bottom.
Top of totem.
Top of totem.
My latest flower plate. Love the vivid colors!
Used the flattened spoon method to hang this plate & it's much easier & faster than the bell. I glued with Plumbers GOOP & put screw thru front plate then thru spoon with nut attached.
Bent spoon handle slips thru copper or conduit pipe. Can be easily taken in during harsh winters or storms.
Snowflake Christmas Plate
Snowflake Christmas Plate
Another snowflake plate flower
Another snowflake plate flower
Just finished this pretty blue flower plate...love it!!
Close up shows the center rose in a beautiful dark blue. Hoping I can find more of these!
One of my yellow and blue combos.
One of my yellow and blue combos.
Burgundy & white...made several different combos with this pretty back plate.
Close up.
Close up.
Black and pinks....beautiful!
Black and pinks....beautiful!
Side view.
Side view.
Love these lacy white plates. Hope I can find more!
Found 3 of these beautiful rose plates. Looking for more.
Center flowers.
Center flowers.
One of my favorite new plates!
One of my favorite new plates!
Beautiful bold but soft colors.
Beautiful bold but soft colors.
Blue Onion flower plate.
Blue Onion flower plate.
Close up.
Close up.
Side view.
Side view.
Another yellow & blue combo.
Another yellow & blue combo.
Beautiful and bright!
Beautiful and bright!
Blue and pink.
Blue and pink.
Close up.
Close up.
Another burgundy combo.
Another burgundy combo.
Close up.
Close up.
This one really sparkles in the sun!
This one really sparkles in the sun!
Close up.
Close up.
Made some smaller plates that can be used in pot plates.
Can also use then in a pot in the kitchen...where better to use plate flowers!
Love this navy & red plate. Wish I could find more like this!
Also cute in pot plants.
Also cute in pot plants.

• Rose Tomlinson

what type of glue did you use?

• Kathie

Love these....we're do you get knobs and the more flowery plate shapes from?

• Deb23087482

You can find alot of these things at goodwill, flea mrkts, junk shops
    • Kathy Bass

Sorry, just saw this! I buy most of my knobs from Hobby Lobby when they are on 1/2 price. They make excellent centers. I use only glass, no metal because it will rust outdoors. I am always going to thrift shops and garage sales looking for unusual centerpieces and plates. The large back plates are easy to find, but the smaller unusual ones are more difficult...but that's part of the fun! Happy hunting!
  • Abigail S

How do you drill the glass without cracking? I really want to try this...

• Patt Chodzko Moraza

There are special drill bits for glass, ask the hardware guys

• Kathy Bass

Abigail, I use diamond bits that you can purchase at Lowe's. Keep water on the glass while you're drilling and go slow, and that should prevent cracking. I break very few pieces, but I do use drill presses and not hand drills. Hope this helps.
  • Cha12231895

Which of the 3 glues that you use is the clearest?

• Kathy Bass

Sorry for the delay...just saw this! I think the E6000 is the clearest and extremely strong, but I find the other 2 are best for what I use them for. It saves $$ to use the GE Silicone II instead of E6000 when it doesn't show. Hope this helps.

• Shi13735819

How do you keep the bit from slipping when you first start to drill? I'm a hospital trip waiting to happen.
    • Kathy Bass

Hi Shimmyminion! I use 2 different size drill presses, so the bit is tightly secured in the drill. I started out years ago with a hand drill and had a hard time keeping the bit from traveling on the plate! Sorry this wasn't much help!
    • Deb29298363

I think she meant when your first start to drill it jumps or slips around before getting a hole to start...... how can you prevent that ?
    • Deb29298363

Sorry....I just noticed, you use a drill press 👍🏻
  • Ant22042623

What size and length screws do you use? Also do you use nylon washers between plates?
    • Kathy Bass

The length of screw depends on the thickness of the final depth of the plate. After I glue all pieces together, I try 2", 2 1/2", 3" or whatever size I need to put through the center and go through the flattened spoon with enough screw left for the nut. I do not use nylon washers between my plates because I glue them and they are not coming apart after the screw goes in. Hope this helps.
    • Kathy Bass

Oh, forgot about the size of screw. I use a 3/16" drill bit and #10-24 stainless steel screws and nuts. I have all sizes from 3/4" to 5" screws. Let me know if you have any other questions.
      Cheers!
  • Ant22042623

Kathy, thank you for the help on the screws. I've noticed a lot of crafters are using glass paint to accent or completely painting a glass piece. Do you or anyone else have any experience with paints or galleft glass? Do the paints fade or peel from spending the seasons outdoors?
    • Kathy Bass

Hi Anteelynn, I have never used glass paint....I'm afraid it will fade. If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it holds up. Good luck!
  • Jackie morris

Hi. I’ve been making glass garden Dish flowers for a while now with E6000 adhesive. I’ve thought about drilling but the E6000 is holding great so far! I was wondering if anyone uses E6000 and if so what kind of results have you had?

Thanks!

• Kathy Bass

I've always drilled and glued and find E6000 to be a great adhesive. However, I've never used it alone, only as an additional secure step.

• Cindy wood

How do you drill without breaking the plates?

• Cindy wood

• Amanda

I realize this is a late reply but maybe it will help someone. I made 2 glass bird feeders using E6000. 90% of the time it works great for most of my projects....these 2 were the exceptional 10% that it did not. Gave one to my mother on mother's day 2017 and kept one for myself. Neither feeder cared for fluctuation in weather so much. The E6000 held them together for a year. I'm going to repair them and use DAP water resistant glue (that can be used to seal aquariums and withstand bathroom humidity) I've used it on several projects that turned out well. I still love my E6000 just not for this particular project. Hope this helps :)

• Auc33623779

beautiful . I am just starting to do these plates and love your ideas. Do you glue or screw you pieces? Also I was wondering on how to attach the poles Thanks for any help you can offer. And do you have to use flat pieces mostly. I tryed some that were cut glass and am afraid to use them because not sure it they will hold

• Auc33623779

can you make uneven glass pieces hold together when making your projects like the cut glass

• Kathy Bass

Hi there, the only thing I could think of to do it use LOTS of glue. I usually don't use uneven pieces so they are flat surfaces and bond easily. sorry I wasn't much help with this! Good luck with your projects!

• Auc33623779

thanks for your reply . I tryed more glue but would not hold so what I did is use a glass drill and drilled a hole and put a nylon screw and bolt on it and a little glue to hold it . Seems to be working Trial and error I guess

• Kathy Wolfe

How do you drill the pieces without causing them to break?

• Kathy Bass

Hi Kathy,

You need to keep water on the plate surface the whole time you're drilling. And if the water gets really hot, you need to empty it and let the bit cool, but that doesn't usually happen if you keep cool water on the surface. I break very few pieces, so hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kathy

• Kathy Wolfe

Thanks!! I’ve been using glue, but worry about it failing. I may try the drill—I have a small Dremel—will that work?