DIY Christmas Tree Topper!

What's that? Can't find the right tree topper? The one you want is too expensive? I hear ya buddy! You better save those boxes, because here's an easy way to make the perfect star for your Christmas tree!
diy christmas tree topper , christmas decorations, crafts, home maintenance repairs, ponds water features, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
First print out your favorite star. No, not Robert Downey Jr! Cut out your star and then trace it onto cardboard or corrugated fiberboard. You can make the star bigger on the cardboard by using a ruler and extending all of the points out and connecting them using the ruler to make straight lines. You'll need two of these.
Go get the boxcutter and cut straight lines using the side of a ruler just deep enough for the cardboard to bend. The cut lines will be on the inside. Also think about how you're going to store this after Christmas. If you don't want the star to be collapsable, you'll need to hot glue some kind of support directly to the middle of the inside. I cut, tightly rolled and wrapped duct tape around printer paper for my support. I hot glued it to the inside center of both stars before I taped down the sides.
Carefully run duct around the star. Try not to make any creases in the tape.
For the base tube that goes on the tree, Wrap cardboard around the top of your tree and then duct taped it to get a perfect fit. The tube gets smaller as it goes up from the tree.
You'll need to carefully cut a hole in the bottom of your star so the tube goes tightly in place. Use hot glue to secure it.
It's decoupage time! I decoupaged a couple layers of newspaper onto this. I made it smooth at first, but went back over it pinching up areas to give the star the look I wanted. I painted it with acrylic gold craft paint and then rubbed it down with a water based antique liquid.
I live in Japan, so I used local brands!

• Cardboard
  • Duct tape
  • Hot glue

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Sharonlw

how can i save this??

• Bryan's Workshop

You should see three buttons under the Hometalk logo at the top of the page. A Facebook Like button, a Pin button to pin this on your Pinterest and a Save button with a heart to save it to your Hometalk folders

• Lisa Bullock Kopf

What website did you use to print the original star shape? Really would like to see you run lights through it!