DIY Pixie ELF on SHELF

I'm such a cheapskate...there I said it! Tho I really wanted one of those elves, just couldn't bring myself to shell out thirty dollars to buy one. I even have a Pinterest Board totally dedicated to the little fellow! So, I made my own elf for only ONE DOLLAR and isn't he just the cutest!!! I went to the good 'ole Dollar Store and purchased a doll with a big head. Took her home, pulled her apart, rewired her, cut up and sewed some left over material I had into tubes. Reassembled (not using her arms and legs but the wire ones I made) and TA DA, my very own pixie was born. Now as soon as I give him a name, he'll receive his Christmas magic and he'll be able to fly to the North Pole each night to tell Santa Claus about all of the day's adventures. And each morning, he'll return to a new perch to watch the fun. There are two simple rules when it comes to having an elf. 1st an elf cannot be touched, Christmas magic is very fragile and if an elf is touched it may lose that magic and be unable to fly back to the North Pole. 2nd an elf cannot speak or move while anyone in the house is awake, it's his job to watch and listen. The elf is a special scout sent from the North Pole to help Santa Claus manage his naughty and nice lists. He typically appears in his family's home around Thanksgiving and then on Christmas Eve, he returns to the North Pole with Santa Claus... until next year!
It's very easy to take apart the little Dollar Store Doll. Pull off the head, arms, and legs. Then pry open the body.
Before snapping the body back together, cut the wire to your desired lengths. (The arms are about 1/2 the length of the legs.) DO NOT ATTACH HEAD UNTIL HE IS DRESSED!
Simply hand sew 'tubes' of material to make a body suit. A short fat tube for the body and long skinny tubes for arms and legs, based on the size of the doll body and how long you want the arms and legs to be. Triangle for the hat.
Assemble ~ dress your elf in the body suit, slip on the collar over the neck THEN snap on the head. Top with the hat. Now you are ready to pose!

• Doris Betts

I absolutely love the doll face! What year did you buy the doll and which specific dollar-type store?

• Doris Betts

Thank you for the reply Diana. I actually found the doll at Dollar Tree here in Eugene, Oregon. The only thing that has changed in 5 years is the eyes and hair (no bangs). The nose, mouth, and freckles are exactly the same! I am so excited to make a whole bunch of elves with hopefully some very cute outfits. Do you know what gauge the wire is that you use? Thank you so much for sharing your awesome instructions on how to make the elf.