DIY Coconut Oil & Beeswax Scented Candle

$7

There is something so dang magical about the arrival of autumn. I finally am reunited with my favorite sweaters, boots, cups of hot tea, and candles. Oh, the candles! I love cozying up with lovely candles ablaze. My jam is scented candles that make my home smell warm and inviting. There is something spellbinding about watching the flames flicker and having my whole space transformed by delicious smells (without having to whip something up in the kitchen). The only drawback is what goes into making so many of those lovely candles. Lead in the wicks?? Artificial scents that burn up and pollute my home’s air?? Wax that is a byproduct of petroleum???? YUCK! Thank goodness we have healthier options. Here is a truly delicious smelling candle that you can whip up at home. It is so dang easy and you can feel confident about the air quality in your home! Blog URL: DIY Coconut Oil Beeswax Scented Candle Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
DIY Coconut Oil & Beeswax Scented Candle 1 lbs (or 2 cups) of natural beeswax 2 cups of coconut oil 60 drops of cinnamon oil (or other essential oil) mason jar or other heat tolerant container balsa wood for wick (find at ACE Hardware)
Chop up your beeswax (or better yet, buy it in pellet form to save time). Add your coconut oil and place the mix in a disposable pan resting over a pot of boiling water. Why disposable? It is not necessary, but it makes ruining your pots obsolete.
Once your wax and oil have completely liquified and combined, add 60 drops of your favorite essential oil. I chose to use cinnamon because I could not think of any better way to usher in autumn.
Now, dip your balsa wood into the mix, completely coating the stick. You can use a wick from the craft store here, but I like the concept of burning a simple wooden wick….no chance of lead! I will have to give a quick disclaimer here. I picked up some balsa wood at Michael’s, but it was honestly too thick (as you can see in the below picture). If you go to ACE Hardware, you will find much thinner balsa wood sticks that will stay lit perfectly. You want it to be almost as thin as construction paper.
Measure your balsa to your container and give it a simple snap where you want it for height.
This is so easy, guys! Pour in a small layer of your candle mix, like about a 1/2 inch. Then let it set up just a bit. Now all you have to do is jab your balsa down into the soft wax and it will hold up beautifully while you pour in the rest of your melted candle mix.
You can use chopsticks to rest the balsa up against if you are worried about your wick taking a dive…but it worked perfectly for me without supports.
With a bit of patience, your candle will cool and completely set.
I was able to make two rather large candles from my recipe. Obviously, if you went with smaller containers, you could make more (a great DIY Christmas hint for sure).
Ahhhhh, things are smelling so cozy! I want to curl up with a glass of wine and have a good chat with a friend. Cheers to the quiet peace of autumn! xoxo Chanda

• 2 cups of Coconut Oil  (Had on Hand)
  • 1 lbs (or 2 cups) of Natural Beeswax  (Amazon)
  • 60 drops of Cinnamon essential oil (or any other essential oil)  (Amazon)

Zest it Up

• Nadina Boek Darrah

Curious, I have been saving some candles that my mom and dad made years ago. They are gone now. I thought of melting them down and making new scented candles from theirs for family Christmas gifts. They would have great sentimental value. Could I use those candles instead of the biswax?
    • Kimm King

Yes but be careful as some candles are only colored on the outside and they use cheap wax. You can use paraffin but Beeswax is much smoother and smells better.

• Connie Morse Newbury

What is the purpose of the coconut oil.

• Cinda Raybon

How can I make coffee scented candles

• Zest it Up

I would add some beans and/or grounds to the mix- would be super cute in a coffee mug! xo

• Pat Carr Abels

Please beware of decorating candles with coffee beans. They catch 🔥 FIRE and burn. My daughter had one on her mantle and when it caught fire she saw it immediately, but unfortunately the candle itself was hot, burnt her fingers, spilled on her carpet. The fire fortunately went out, but carpet was ruined.
  • Patricia

We tried this project today,Christmas Eve. I recommend using a regular wick. The balsa wood would not stay lit. We even looked up another project using balsa wood for a wick. It said to soak them in olive oil first and then dip in wax. Stayed lit for a few seconds longer but not a good burn. Not even enough to melt the wax a little. Otherwise they are beautiful unless you actually want to burn them