DIY Coconut Oil & Beeswax Scented Candle

$7

There is something so dang magical about the arrival of autumn. I finally am reunited with my favorite sweaters, boots, cups of hot tea, and candles. Oh, the candles! I love cozying up with lovely candles ablaze. My jam is scented candles that make my home smell warm and inviting. There is something spellbinding about watching the flames flicker and having my whole space transformed by delicious smells (without having to whip something up in the kitchen). The only drawback is what goes into making so many of those lovely candles. Lead in the wicks?? Artificial scents that burn up and pollute my home’s air?? Wax that is a byproduct of petroleum???? YUCK! Thank goodness we have healthier options. Here is a truly delicious smelling candle that you can whip up at home. It is so dang easy and you can feel confident about the air quality in your home! Blog URL: DIY Coconut Oil Beeswax Scented Candle Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
DIY Coconut Oil & Beeswax Scented Candle 1 lbs (or 2 cups) of natural beeswax 2 cups of coconut oil 60 drops of cinnamon oil (or other essential oil) mason jar or other heat tolerant container balsa wood for wick (find at ACE Hardware)
Chop up your beeswax (or better yet, buy it in pellet form to save time). Add your coconut oil and place the mix in a disposable pan resting over a pot of boiling water. Why disposable? It is not necessary, but it makes ruining your pots obsolete.
Once your wax and oil have completely liquified and combined, add 60 drops of your favorite essential oil. I chose to use cinnamon because I could not think of any better way to usher in autumn.
Now, dip your balsa wood into the mix, completely coating the stick. You can use a wick from the craft store here, but I like the concept of burning a simple wooden wick….no chance of lead! I will have to give a quick disclaimer here. I picked up some balsa wood at Michael’s, but it was honestly too thick (as you can see in the below picture). If you go to ACE Hardware, you will find much thinner balsa wood sticks that will stay lit perfectly. You want it to be almost as thin as construction paper.
Measure your balsa to your container and give it a simple snap where you want it for height.
This is so easy, guys! Pour in a small layer of your candle mix, like about a 1/2 inch. Then let it set up just a bit. Now all you have to do is jab your balsa down into the soft wax and it will hold up beautifully while you pour in the rest of your melted candle mix.
You can use chopsticks to rest the balsa up against if you are worried about your wick taking a dive…but it worked perfectly for me without supports.
With a bit of patience, your candle will cool and completely set.
I was able to make two rather large candles from my recipe. Obviously, if you went with smaller containers, you could make more (a great DIY Christmas hint for sure).
Ahhhhh, things are smelling so cozy! I want to curl up with a glass of wine and have a good chat with a friend. Cheers to the quiet peace of autumn! xoxo Chanda

• 2 cups of Coconut Oil  (Had on Hand)
  • 1 lbs (or 2 cups) of Natural Beeswax  (Amazon)
  • 60 drops of Cinnamon essential oil (or any other essential oil)  (Amazon)

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Zest it Up

• Karen Lloid Ridenour

Does it burn evenly

• Zest it Up

Hi Karen! If you stir the mixture and everything is congealed evenly it should burn equally!

• Rachelle Struss

Hi! Great project! Quick question- when you said to completely cover the wood in the wax (prior to putting into the jar) - donyou want it all the way to the top where it wil eventually be lit? Just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks!

• Beth

The balsa needs to be coated from one end to the other so that when you light then end that is standing outside the candle itself won't set aflame. The wax will keep it so it will react like a normal wick would. It would be tragic to begin to burn a new, homemade candle and singe your nosehairs and eyebrows unnecessarily (tongue firmly implanted in cheek here). ;)

• Zest it Up

Hey Rachelle, We recommend completely covering the balsa in wax!

• Lisa House

Do you know if these are safe to burn when you have birds (parakeets etc) in the house?

• Toni Emmert- Burnham

Can you burn other candles safely in your home when you have birds? Non-bird owner wants to know.
    • Jadd Randleman

Safer than any other candles because waxes are natural! I am concerned with the wood wick, tho. It must smoke a bit & that's not good. I'd use a natural wick instead. I've had birds for 30+ years & have always needed to be careful.
    • Lori

non bird person here, but couldn’t you use a candle snuffed? Or use something wet to put the flame out???
    • Lisa House

The chemicals released from a burning wick and melting candle can be very harmful to birds, as can cooking with non-stick cookware, but I am sure that "natural" doesn't necessa mean safe. We stopped burning candles once we learned about the hazards, and we got rid of our cookware, and I miss being able to burn a scented candle occasionally. I do not know if the soy candles are safe either so I would suggest checking with an experienced avian vet. I asked the question just in case someone may know. Birds are small so are their lungs therefore I would suggest not owning birds if you are a smoker...really shouldn't be smoking or allow around any pet...just my opinion.

• Amy M Goines

Cigarette smoke is much worse for dogs than humans. I throw this info out every time I get the chance. Stop smoking around your dog and their ability to breathe will improve.

• KerryW

This is a great wood wick candle, they sound so great when burning, I'm wondering though, is it possible to use another oil besides the Coconut Oil? I cannot use that.
    Thanks.
    • Zest it Up

Feel free to take the coconut oil out of the equation! You can just use beeswax and essential oils to make a candle.
    • KerryW

thank you :)
    • BRENDA STILL

Then what is the purpose for the coconut oil, if you can just use bees wax??
  • Carla Claustro

Why the coconut oil?
    • Ashley A. Deen

Just a guess, but I'd assume it's to stretch the recipe and make the candles more affordable. In a jar, they can be softer than tapered candles, so this mix will work fine while making more candle(s) for your diy buck.

• Zest it Up

You can make this candle without the coconut oil in the recipe. We added it to make the recipe larger so we could make more candles! The Beeswax is a little pricey by itself so it gave us a bigger bang for our buck also!

• Michelle Lindsay Jochum

What size candles did it make & how much did it cost?
    • Zest it Up

It made 2 - 16 ounce candles. It depends on how much you have on hand. We had almost all of our ingredients on hand so we ended up spending about $7 total.

• BuddyandPhyllis Clark

does the wood smoke?
  • BuddyandPhyllis Clark

Does the wood stick smoke?
  • Brenda

Where do you buy cinnamon drops & other scents ?
  • Connie Wilkie

Does the candle smell like coconut or does the cinnamon oil dominate the coconut
    • RedReba Franks

Most coconut oil does not have a smell
    • LISA

True. The coconut from Costco, like is shown in the picture, is great. No smell should come from it, and it will make a lot of candles.
      (Which I am going to do using this mix.)
      I Am curious if the candle turns to liquid when warm, or does the wax help with that?
    • Zest it Up

Great Question! The cinnamon definitely takes over the coconut scent.

• Zest it Up

Hi Lisa! The wax helps to prevent the candle turning to liquid

• Char Vedder Bailey

how do you share these
    • Zest it Up

Great question! You should be able to hover over any picture and see two icons pop up in the left corner for you to share via Pinterest or Facebook. You could also copy and paste the URL if you wanted to share via email or text message.

• Nadina Boek Darrah

Curious, I have been saving some candles that my mom and dad made years ago. They are gone now. I thought of melting them down and making new scented candles from theirs for family Christmas gifts. They would have great sentimental value. Could I use those candles instead of the biswax?
    • Zest it Up

Yes you can!

• Kimm King

Yes but be careful as some candles are only colored on the outside and they use cheap wax. You can use paraffin but Beeswax is much smoother and smells better.

• Connie Morse Newbury

What is the purpose of the coconut oil.

• Zest it Up

Adding some coconut oil to your beeswax should help the candle burn more consistently and avoid tunneling, but technically you can also make a 100% beeswax candle as well.

• Lisa Sinclair

I think this would make the candle more cost efficient also.

• Cinda Raybon

How can I make coffee scented candles

• Zest it Up

I would add some beans and/or grounds to the mix- would be super cute in a coffee mug! xo

• Pat Carr Abels

Please beware of decorating candles with coffee beans. They catch 🔥 FIRE and burn. My daughter had one on her mantle and when it caught fire she saw it immediately, but unfortunately the candle itself was hot, burnt her fingers, spilled on her carpet. The fire fortunately went out, but carpet was ruined.
  • Patricia

We tried this project today,Christmas Eve. I recommend using a regular wick. The balsa wood would not stay lit. We even looked up another project using balsa wood for a wick. It said to soak them in olive oil first and then dip in wax. Stayed lit for a few seconds longer but not a good burn. Not even enough to melt the wax a little. Otherwise they are beautiful unless you actually want to burn them