DIY Fountain

8 materials
$31.00
I fell in love with this fountain (last Photo), but at over $300.00 after shipping I decided to make my own version using mostly items I had on hand.
MATERIALS:
- Glass , Plastic, Ceramic or Metal Vase
- Glass/ Plastic, Ceramic or Metal basin
- Silicone (waterproof indoor/outdoor clear) or E6000 glue
- Tabletop Fountain Pump
- Metal or Plastic raised leg candlestick holder Magic Marker *Sophisticated Finishes –metal paint (I used Copper on vase and appliques for bowl and Blonde Bronze on bowl)
- Black flat spray paint (For metal or plastic)
- Spray indoor/outdoor gloss sealer (or Sophisticated Finishes Sealer)
TOOLS:
- Dremel or Rotary Tool, Diamond Bit and basic Metal bit.
- Safety Glasses
- Foam and craft paint brushes
OPTIONAL MATERIALS (for Mosaic):
- Mosaic Tiles
- Seed Beads
- Mosaic Grout
- Mosaic Grout Sealer
- Wood Appliques (I painted and silicone to bowl edge)
- Pebbles
OPTIONAL TOOLS (for Mosaic):
- Toothpicks
- Tweezers
- Grout Float
- Tile scorer and Cutter (note I used Pliers to snap apart)
To make Fountain I used a glass vase, copper candlestick holder and a metal bowl that I had on hand.
My completed Fountain.
Step 1. Use magic marker to trace pump hose diameter in center on bottom of vase and bottom of candlestick holder.
Step 2. Using rotary tool and glass bit slowly, applying gentle even pressure drill out hole in vase for pump hose (pour water over bit and vase every 5 minutes or so to keep bit from overheating and glass from shattering.
Steps 1 and 2 complete. Ready for Step 4.
Step 3. Use rotary tool and metal bit to drill hole in candlestick holder for tubing to feed through.
Step 4 .Wash and dry thoroughly.
Step 3 complete
Step 5. Base paint vase and bowl with black spray paint (paint bowl inside and out)
Step 6 Using foam or good brush apply Sophisticated Finishes to vase and bowl (again paint bowl inside and out), let dry 1 hr. then apply a second coat
At this point you can do a mosaic design on front of vase and bowl if desired or skip ahead to steps 7 thru 12.
Step 5 complete.
Step 6 complete.
-- here is link where I got the bead and mosaic tile idea from . Full instructions there. http://www.fleamarketgardening.org/2013/10/08/sues-rock-star-mosaic-rocks/
Mosaic step 1 complete. Go to link if would like better mosaic instructions.
Mosaic—
(I used old mirror tiled Christmas ornaments had on hand --one’s where most tiles were coming off.
I raided my seed bead stash, but you can use old pieces of beaded jewelry, Or you can use seed bead jewelry from Thrift store, just cut apart to get beads.)
Step 1. Draw (or trace) design with magic marker on vase.
Step 2. Using silicone and a toothpick lay down silicone a 1/2 an inch at a time on outline. Use tweezers to place and slightly space seed beads, gently press beads into glue. After silicone dries check beads to make sure firmly on, re-glue any loose ones.
Step. 3. For fill in break or cut tiles to fit in areas, lay down silicone and place tiles and beads into background with tweezers,gently pressing into glue. Again after glue has dried check they are securely in and re-glue any loose one’s.
Step 4. Apply Mosaic grout per instructions on product.
Step 5. After grout has dried 24 hours apply grout sealer (2 coats)
Mosaic Steps 2 thru 5 complete. And Finishing Fountain Step 7 complete.
Finishing fountain
Step 7. Apply spray gloss sealer to vase, bowl (again inside and out on bowl) and candlestick holder, let dry.
Step 8. Apply a generous layer of silicone to rim of candlestick holder and press firmly into vase, make sure vase is straight and leave to dry.
Step. 8
Step 9. Feed pump tubing through vase.(do not cut tubing yet)
Steps 8 thru 11. complete.
Step 10. Place pump under candlestick in bowl attach to hose and cut hose to correct length at top.
Step 11. I poured pebbles in to help hide pump.
Step 12. Fill bowl with water to cover pump, plug in and enjoy.
Inspiration piece I loosely based my fountain on.
This was a first for me all the way around, 1st time to cut glass, make a fountain and to do Mosaic work. And my 1st DIY Tutorial. (Sorry if was too wordy or needed more in progress pictures)
Very Happy with the way it turned out.
(I purchased the pump for 17.00 from Lowes, pebbles (2 bags) from Dollar store and the Mosaic Grout and Sealer from Hobby Lobby for 6.00 ea.. So my total cost was $31.00. Everything else I had on hand and I will be using the pump for my holiday fountains also.
· * Sophisticated Finishes is the key to getting a realistic metal finish. It is not so much a paint but finely ground metal in a bonder ( ie. copper or whatever metal finish using)
· * Sealer is important unless you want your fountain to age being in water, as the metal “paint” will react and age with exposure to water just like an actual piece of metal.

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

2 of 52 comments
Next