Asked on Nov 1, 2016

Upcycling plastic trashcan - ideas?

Kenneth JoynerDannielleCrystal Clutter Stepanovich
+65

I have 8 of these trashcans left over from tradeshows we no longer attend. I used 2 of them to store wrapping paper. I hate to just throw away the others.
I thought about filling with dirt and putting plants in them, but that will be last resort because I don't think I will like the final look. Any ideas would be appreciated.
15" x 14" x 10" plastic trashcans.
33 of 33 answers
  • And7447075
    And7447075

Wrap and glue rope around the entire trash can . I I will have a chunky look but it will no longer look like a cheap plastic can

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank you! Depending on the type of rope I used, it could end up looking nautical or rustic. Neat!

• None
    None

Cleaning supplies in a liner closet or toilet paper rolls. Bedroom closet for extra wallets, purses, etc. Maybe even flip flops and slippers. Near a printer to hold extra packs of paper. A pantry to hold bags of dog or cat food so they don't spill after being opened. I use these all over the place. Just don't think of them as garbage only. I have one next to the freezer that holds plastic grocery bags for when I dump the electric litter box bin.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

i would donate them to my local police, fire dept, hospice, church or school.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Johnchip. Of course donations are always a great idea if I can't use them. I appreciate your feedback.

• Barbara
    Barbara

Use as recylcling bins.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Barbara. Ha ha, I already have some tubs for that purpose; we recycle aluminum, cardboard, glass, everything we can. Love the idea though!

• Donna Stremke
    Donna Stremke

Spray paint in fat horizontal stripes in your choice of colors; drill holes in bottom for drainage; add rocks or gravel in bottom of can; plant a tall plant in center with trailing plants around the rim. You can glue rope around the rim to disguise the curled rim if you desire. This can take a rather large collection of flowering plants and it won't look like a recycled trash can.

• Kenneth Joyner
      Kenneth Joyner

If you do decide to use them as a planter, you can add empty soda bottles in the bottom to reduce soil needed and weight so it is easy to move. Packing peanuts will do the same if you have them.

• Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

You can cut some 1/4" plywood in an oblong shape about 1/2" bigger than the opening. Store things in the bottom like holiday decorations, things you don't use but once a year. Make 8 "lids" and stack them. All the other ideas are great too!

• Bobbie
    Bobbie

I spray paint them and use them as outdoor planters. I fill it half full of styrofoam pellets and then the dirt. Put your plants in and bam. A beautiful new planter!!

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

I was thinking I might need the weight to counter balance the top part? Maybe not. I've never done it, I'm a newbie to this wonderful advice/idea site. Oh - maybe the weight of the dirt compensates for it being top heavy. I have so many ideas now. Thank you

• Alice
    Alice

make one a center for gift wrap. put all the necessary tools [scissors, tape, lables, etc.] in a small bag and clip to the edge. Put in the gift paper, gift bags, and anything else you have. If the long paper tubes fall over use a bungee cord to corral them on one side.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Alice. Your idea combined with some of the others, I foresee a very cute work station. Thank you so much.

• Connie
    Connie

Put them on a tilt frame wood shelf and use for storing sports equipment!! Turn upside down and screw a round table top (or plywood) and use for a short table for little ones! Turn one upside down and place another one on top (bottom to bottom) and use for a planter! Don't forget to use screws to hold them together and screw holes for drainage!!!

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Connie. I really appreciate your thoughts! Our sports are competitive shooting and we have to keep our guns in various safes. We don't have any little ones (I wish we did!). However, your idea did spark a combo idea with one of the others. I need to test it out. The tilt idea got my creative juices flowing. We do want to start to fishing, and the tilt idea I see as a possibility for poles. We'll see. THANK YOU.

• 861650
    861650

Decoupage the outside with wrapping paper. Spray paint the inside with your choice of color...do this first.

• 861650
      861650

You are so welcome. I made a template from newspaper and transferred it to the wrapping paper. You could also use wallpaper or anything else you come up with. Even spray painting the outside and then cut out images and decoupage them to the can. I redecorated my Mom's bathroom which was decorated with pink (ugh!) accessories to a traditional/soft contemporary look using a little paint and decoupage and other ideas that came out of no where.

• Corrina Dicken
    Corrina Dicken

Plants are a great idea. Get glow in the dark paint and paint them or dig a hole the same size as can and put in a plastic bag then can. You can switch cans out easy as seasons change

• use shelving brackets spaced apart the size of the trash containers and hang them in garage or basement for storage. Store gardening tools , gloves hats mittens, cleaning supplies etc the containers will slide on with th top edge

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Martha Erkkinen Muffoletto. Loving this. Gotta figure out how to drill through cinder blocks or whatever our basement is made of. It's not wood, I know that.

• Heidi M. Krieger
    Heidi M. Krieger

I have one exactly like this and have covered I with sisal twine to give it an update.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Heidi M. Krieger. Sweet, you should post a pic. We've got a lot of followers. I'd love to see.

• Corrina Dicken
    Corrina Dicken

Welcome

• Bobbie
    Bobbie

I have never had one topple over and we have some days up to 35-40 mph winds. I love to set them on the steps to my deck

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Bobbie. That's pretty strong winds. Might have a winner here. I appreciate you sharing your ideas with me.

• Ann Smitt
    Ann Smitt

Make a Lint Bin out of one can for your laundry room. Spray paint the can a vibrant, happy color. When it drys stencil the word LINT on it. Hang it in your laundry room. For more ideas go to Pinterest or ETSY.

• Dan
    Dan

You may want to use Some Metal Effect Spray paint and some Bungee Cords to hang them from Stairs or in Your Garage.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Dan. That's thinking outside the box. I never would have thought of that.

• Ann Smitt
    Ann Smitt

Re: Trash Can Planters. Drill holes in the bottom of your cans for drainage. Spray paint the cans with a Stone Paint to mimic real pots. Let dry. Pour 1/4 bag pea gravel into the can. Cover the rest with GOOD potting soil for indoor plants. Make a succulent garden for your home office. Succulents are easy to care for. Your local nursery or Home Depot both have people on staff to help you with your plant selections.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Ann Smitt. Ya'll are convincing me to go back to a planter idea. Maybe it won't be ugly with all these great painting and roping ideas.

• Susan
    Susan

On short side, cut an oval hole near the top for handle. Fill with a few garden tools: hand held clippers, gloves, weed claw etc., now you're not running back and forth for those tools as you clean up garden.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Susan. HA! What a cute idea, a tote! I can definitely use one of the cans for that. I love it! !

• Sheryl Sumpter
    Sheryl Sumpter

I used some of these for planters - wanted to put smaller plants behind some larger ones in garden - perfect to add some height and color among grasses and shrubs.

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Sheryl Sumpter. I'm leaning toward planters again. Hadn't thought of the height issue. Thank you!

• Sally
    Sally

I've applied a matching fabric to my kitchen with Waterproof ModPodge

• Jerry Hart
    Jerry Hart

how about a compose bin? free for the doing all you need is a little grass clippings a few twigs some worms if you can find them and scraps of paper water and throw in you waste from the kitchen

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Jerry Hart. YES! I've never had one before. I would need to make a latching lid, right? We have a bad raccoon and possum problem in our backyard. Would the odor draw them in and make a mess I wonder? They empty my bird feeders every night and are quite talented at tearing thru garbage stored in plastic tubs (chewed right the tubs).

• Janette Bell Turner
    Janette Bell Turner

I had a bunch of these when we closed a business a few years ago. I put 2-3 in the bottom of the closet to collect gloves, hat & mittens for the kids

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Janette Bell Turner. You must live in the north? I love the idea, but we don't have that cold of weather. I bet your answer will give someone else a great idea. And I greatly appreciate the suggestion, too!

• Judy Sweeney
    Judy Sweeney

planters

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Judy Sweeney. Planters seem to the #1 suggestion. Thanks so much!

• Lynn
    Lynn

They work well as chicken air conditioners. Put them on their side and throw in a couple of ice packs (in Zip lock bags) and the chickens get A/C.

• Jeng  Alamares
    Jeng Alamares

how about spraying them a little gold dust and top it with poinettia plants for xmas decors? they can be placed either along the patio or near doors. after xmas, you can still use these as planters for herbs

• Jeng  Alamares
    Jeng Alamares

youre welcome any time

• Anita Carter Beckstead
    Anita Carter Beckstead

How about wrapping paper storage?

• You could turn them upside down and paint them glow in the dark white and make ghost for Halloween decorations! Just tape off tape off the eyes!

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Crystal Clutter Stepanovich. What a cute idea. Then you could still do other things with it later. This is a great temporary use!

• Dannielle
    Dannielle

Grow potatoes in them for community garden

• PruBelle
      PruBelle

Thank You Dannielle. I have never tried to grown potatoes. I need to research that. I wonder if garlic or mushrooms would work? We go through lots of garlic and mushrooms in sauces, etc.

• Kenneth Joyner
    Kenneth Joyner

In addition to the wrapping paper, if you have long pieces of wood or lumber the cans make great storage containers for those as well. I also use them as small yard waste buckets. Easy to keep up with and lighter than dragging the large trash can around the yard. It also feels better to say, I filled three cans full of weeds today.