DIY Beveled Mirror Tile Overmantel

I had a large empty space over my fireplace and wanted a wall with some wow.
diy beveled mirror tile overmantel, fireplaces mantels, home decor, home improvement, living room ideas, wall decor
I thought some type of mirror might be nice…until a local glass company told me an unframed beveled-edge mirror in the size I needed was upwards of $600…and required professional help to hang it. (Can you imagine how much it would weigh?)
Sigh.
After looking for inspiration on line, I decided to build an overmantel. I'd use purchased wood molding to duplicate the woodworking of the original fireplace and these beveled mirror tiles:
via Lowe's
via Lowe's
Seemed pretty simple…attach the squares, trim with molding, paint and enjoy!
This was the plan:
But the devil is in the details. And it seemed that each seemingly simple step came with unexpected problems to solve. Well…. they were unexpected to ME since I was making this up as I went along.
Problem-solving is at the heart of every true DIY project. You just have to think your way through it and not give up. It’s all worth it in the end. (Visit DustandDoghair.com for the full blog post AND my solutions.)
I had to figure out how to SAFELY attach the mirrors to the wall…
deal with packs of uneven tiles….
and find a way to make all the uneven edges of the tiles look even…
Attach a large wood header securely to the wall, then trim it out with moldings (and miters!!!).
There were several times I thought about quitting…but I stuck with it. And am I glad I did!
Because now my fireplace looks like this:
All that's left is to decorate!

EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

• Jennifer Oliver Hardwicke

So, in the end, how much did your project cost?
    Also, how about a picture of your wall after the
    paintings are adjusted?
    Good job!
  • Monique

HOW can I get rid I'd mild around my bathroom tub

• Bmi32050820

Sorry but my question has nothing to do with the mirrors they look great. I was wondering why the pictures are hung so low. I realize you have really tall ceilings but was just wondering

• EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

Well... because setting them on the floor wasn't an option, lol.

Seriously....I do have really tall ceilings. There should be vertical pictures that are much taller...but horizontal was what we had at the time.

They are actually well above eye level, but it's hard to tell because of the scale.

Thanks for the question, though.