DIY Beveled Mirror Tile Overmantel

I had a large empty space over my fireplace and wanted a wall with some wow.
I thought some type of mirror might be nice…until a local glass company told me an unframed beveled-edge mirror in the size I needed was upwards of $600…and required professional help to hang it. (Can you imagine how much it would weigh?)
Sigh.
After looking for inspiration on line, I decided to build an overmantel. I'd use purchased wood molding to duplicate the woodworking of the original fireplace and these beveled mirror tiles:
via Lowe's
Seemed pretty simple…attach the squares, trim with molding, paint and enjoy!
This was the plan:
But the devil is in the details. And it seemed that each seemingly simple step came with unexpected problems to solve. Well…. they were unexpected to ME since I was making this up as I went along.
Problem-solving is at the heart of every true DIY project. You just have to think your way through it and not give up. It’s all worth it in the end. (Visit DustandDoghair.com for the full blog post AND my solutions.)
I had to figure out how to SAFELY attach the mirrors to the wall…
deal with packs of uneven tiles….
and find a way to make all the uneven edges of the tiles look even…
Attach a large wood header securely to the wall, then trim it out with moldings (and miters!!!).
There were several times I thought about quitting…but I stuck with it. And am I glad I did!
Because now my fireplace looks like this:
All that's left is to decorate!

5 1/8"W x 78 3/4"H x 5/8"D Fluted Casing

EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

• Monique

HOW can I get rid I'd mild around my bathroom tub

• Bmi32050820

Sorry but my question has nothing to do with the mirrors they look great. I was wondering why the pictures are hung so low. I realize you have really tall ceilings but was just wondering

• Yvonne

I assume the fireplace is just about Eye hight . Then the pictures are about the right hight, but you are right it does look a little odd . I think we need a better picture of the overall wall to understand what they are trying to achieve here .

• Barb

You created a stunning focal point by adding the mirrors. I do see the scale of the room, but I’m wondering if you could move those pictures on each side higher they seem small, I believe they should be 6” above the mantle. 👊🏼👏🏼💡🌟❤️💪

• MEG

Beautiful job and it gives you the height you need. You need to draw the eye upwards on those tall walls. Check out Urban Walls decals that would fill up the space nicely. They have gorgeous florals and palm decals that you can place above the pics higher up to fill the void of all that empty wall space.

• Susie

Your work completes the room with a very rich look! WELL DONE, Em Dirr!

• Linda Abate

WOW, this wall above your fireplace is absolutely gorgeous. The frame work around the mirror really makes this fireplace pop.