DIY Denim Storage Boxes for Your "Bits and Bobs"

Everyday I seem to collect a load of "Bits & Bobs" lying around the house, never knowing where to put them. I decided what I needed was some lovely looking storage boxes for them.
As I love to upcycle, I covered some cardboard storage boxes I'd picked up from Ikea with denim. I also stencilled the words "BITS & BOBS" on the side, for fun and to remind me what they are for.
diy denim storage boxes for your bits and bobs , crafts, decoupage, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
As I said I used IKEA pingla boxes which come flat packed. You can use whatever cardboard boxes you like. I used the IKEA ones as they were the right size for me and you got 2 identical ones in a pack.
Make up your box according to the instructions.
Then measure the outside circumference and height of your box. I used a pair of jeans per box.
I cut my jeans legs so that the seam would form one edge and that they were long enough and wide enough to fit round the box with an overlap. (You may have to sew too bits together to get enough length).
I also used the jeans waistband to make handles for my boxes (more details in the blog post at the end).
Attaching the jeans leg to the box is really easy. I used a good spray adhesive (click here to see the spray adhesive), to stick my denim to the box. I used pins and bull clips to hold it in place as it dried.
I also lined my box with pretty fabric using the same method. You could line your box with burlap or paper.
To complete my storage boxes I stencilled the word BITS on one side and BOBS on the other side. I just used white acrylic paint and simple letter stencils for this. You may want to stencil something else on your boxes like "STUFF" or "THINGS".
What would you stencil on your boxes ?
If you liked this post you will love my other really popular denim storage idea, Click here to see my great denim pocket organiser.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Tracy

How does one do it as a "slipcover"? I need to wash it in a machine!

• Tracy

Thanks to both of you for your answers! I will combine them.

• Debbie Kuhar

I have been looking at the prices of storage boxes. You cannot go wrong with your wonderful idea. Thank you for posting.

• Patti Roehm

Been doing this for years. The heavy weight shoe boxes are great to use!